Need help with projectile project please

In summary, the task is to build a launching device that can propel a golf ball to one of six target areas, while also clearing a 50 cm barrier. The target area will be determined randomly and human power is not allowed. The launching takes place from any of the four quadrants, and no equations are needed. However, for ideal conditions, the equation of trajectory for a projectile under influence of gravity can be used, but for normal conditions, other factors such as wind and projectile accuracy must be taken into account.
byershockey

Homework Statement

To build a launching device for a standard projectile (golf ball). The launching device must propel the golf ball to one of 6 possible target areas as shown in the diagram. The golf ball must first clear a 50 cm barrier placed 50 cm within the 1.5 m gap between the launch quadrants and the target area
The position of the target will be determined by the Luck of the Draw, and will be one of 6locations as shown in the diagram and Human power not allowed.
http://www.physics.umd.edu/PhysOlympics/aaprojectile.JPG

Anybody have any simple ideas that would be able to pull this off? and how would i go about doing do?
thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the question it is asking. Can you clarify on

1)Where exactly the launching device is in the quadrants?

2)What equations / models the question is asking to come up with?

the launching takes place from any of the 4 squares, its my choicee which one i want to use, and no equations are needed, the whole idea of the project is just to put the ball into the box that's selected at random, so basicly i need to be able to know how to put it into every box

any ideas?

The problem can be solved easily if the site is under ideal conditions. All you have to do is plug in values in the equation of trajectory for a projectile under influence of gravity, and use equalities from the problem scenario.
[tex]y=x tan\theta +0.5 g x^2u^{-2}sec^2\theta[/tex]

But for normal conditions this would hardly suffice, and one would have to take effects such as wind, projectile accuracy etc.

What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched or thrown into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it.

How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

What is the importance of studying projectiles?

The study of projectiles is important in many fields, including physics and engineering. Understanding the trajectory of a projectile can help in designing and predicting the motion of objects, such as missiles or sports balls.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

How can I improve my understanding of projectile motion?

To improve your understanding of projectile motion, you can practice solving problems and experiments involving projectiles, and also study the underlying principles and equations that govern their motion.