Need help with relative velocity problem

In summary: So in summary, Amy is traveling at 60mph on the highway, due North. Bob appears on the nearby on-ramp and is initially traveling at 40mph due West. Using trigonometry, we can determine that his speed relative to Amy is 72.1mph, as he is also traveling North parallel to the highway. In the next moment, Bob changes direction and is now heading due Northwest at 50mph. Using vector addition, we can determine that his speed relative to Amy is 101.69mph. Finally, when Bob is in the Northward position and is accelerating to 55mph, his speed relative to Amy is 5mph slower than her speed.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

Amy is traveling at 60mph on the highway, due North. The on-ramp nearby starts out going West, and then curves around so that eventually it is also North, parallel to the highway.
A) Bob appears, traveling 40mph going West (on the onramp). What is his speed relative to Amy?
B) In the next moment, he is heading due Northwest, now going 50mph. What is his speed relative to Amy now?
C) Finally, he is in the Northward position, and is accelerating to 55mph. What is his speed relative to Amy now?

Homework Equations

I think this involves some basic trig to calculate the vector components / actual vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am a little fuzzy on the whole relative velocity when objects are moving towards each other at angles. For the last part, (C), I believe it would be 5mph, because relative to her speed, he is going 5mph slower that she is.

I attempted part (A) by setting up a right triangle where the Y-Component is 60mph, the X-Component is 40mph, and solved for the resultant vector, which yielded √602 + 402 = 72.1 mph. I am not entirely sure if this is even the correct approach however.

For part (B), I am a little confused about how exactly the diagram should look like. All I know is that Northwest would be 45°, but I don't how the triangle itself would look.

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny, I was actually looking at that page yesterday when I was attempting it. It helped me understand how I might create the diagram, but I still feel don't feel confident about it. Here is what I think the diagram looks like:
relativevelocity_zpsda0ri2nw.png

But again, I'm not sure.

dlacombe13 said:
Funny, I was actually looking at that page yesterday when I was attempting it. It helped me understand how I might create the diagram, but I still feel don't feel confident about it. Here is what I think the diagram looks like:
relativevelocity_zpsda0ri2nw.png

But again, I'm not sure.

That is right :D, Now you have two vectors.
Two get the relative velocity you need to add these vectors up. If a vector has an angle then it has two components vertical and horizontal.
Amy's velocity vector doesn't angle so it only has y component.

So let's just break them into two components,
Bob:
Vx = 50 cos Theta
Vy = 50 sin theta

What about amy? can you figure it out?
Now if draw them up and add them as usual if they are in the same direction then you have to add them if they are in opposite direction you have to subtract them.
Once you finish that, You will end up with 1 vector in the y direction and 1 vector in the x direction. Now you get resultant vector through pythagoras.

I'm not sure if I did it right, here's what I did:

Bob:
Vx = 50cos45° = 35.35 i
Vy = 50sin45° = 35.35 j

Amy:
Vx = 0 i
Vy = 60 j

So:
(35.35 i + 0 i) + (35.35 j + 60 j ) ==> 35.35 i + 95.35 j ==> √35.352 + 95.352 = 101.69mph

dlacombe13 said:
I'm not sure if I did it right, here's what I did:

Bob:
Vx = 50cos45° = 35.35 i
Vy = 50sin45° = 35.35 j

Amy:
Vx = 0 i
Vy = 60 j

So:
(35.35 i + 0 i) + (35.35 j + 60 j ) ==> 35.35 i + 95.35 j ==> √35.352 + 95.352 = 101.69mph
Well done, But just a question.. What does I and J represent?

i and j are just a fancy way of saying x-direction and y-direction. So i = x-direction and j = y-direction. I think k = z-direction, but I haven't learned that yet. Btw, thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot!

dlacombe13 said:
i and j are just a fancy way of saying x-direction and y-direction. So i = x-direction and j = y-direction. I think k = z-direction, but I haven't learned that yet. Btw, thanks for the help, I appreciate it a lot!
Oh, No problem :D

1. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to first determine the individual velocities of the two objects or points in question. Then, subtract the velocity of the slower object from the velocity of the faster object. This will give you the relative velocity between the two objects.

2. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions. The negative sign simply indicates the direction of the relative velocity.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity refers to the velocity of an object with respect to a fixed reference point, while relative velocity refers to the velocity of an object with respect to another moving object or point. Absolute velocity is constant, while relative velocity can change depending on the relative motion between the two objects.

4. How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between two objects. The relative velocity between the two objects will determine the amount of force and the direction of the force that is exerted during the collision.

5. Can relative velocity be greater than the velocity of either object?

Yes, relative velocity can be greater than the velocity of either object. This can occur when the two objects are moving in the same direction but at different speeds. In this case, the relative velocity will be equal to the difference between the two velocities.