Need Help with Rotational & Transitional Equilibrium LA

In summary, the speaker needs help with physics and is struggling in the class. They are working on a lab where they need to determine the normal force and torque of a meter stick balanced on a fulcrum with different masses on each side. They provide the measurements and ask for assistance in calculating the forces and torques. The speaker also asks if the normal force is equal to the force of gravity in this scenario and when it is not equal. They are in 11th grade taking regular physics and the lab is due tomorrow. They express urgency and are falling behind in the class.
mahdi12572
I need some help with physics...Honestly, I'm a bit slow in the class and it's killing my GPA

How do I calculate torque and normal force?

I'm working on a lab. Basically, I'm balancing a meter stick with two different mass on both sides sides with a fulcrum in between them. I need to determine the normal force and torque.

Given:
Measured mass of meter stick: .09495 kg
Location of meter stick's center of mass: 50.5m

Trial 1:
Left of Fulcrum
mass1 [kg]: .250kg
F1:?
Length 1[m]: .150m
Torque1=Force1(Length1) [Nm]:?

Right of Fulcrum
mass2 [kg]: 100kg
F2:?
Length2 [m]: .37m
Torque2= Force2(Length 2)

Trial 2:
Left of Fulcrum...
mass1 [kg]: .300kg
F1:?
Length 1[m]: .150m
Torque1=Force2(Length2):?[Nm]

Right of Fulcrum...
mass2 [kg]: 100kg
F2:?
Length2 [m]: .445m
Torque2= Force2(Length 2):? [Nm]Btw...is normal Force= Force of gravity in this case? and when isn't normal force equal to force of gravity?

Thank You
Mahdi Chowdhury (11th grade Regular Physics)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cn anyone please help me out? This lab is due tomorrow. Plzzzzzzzz? I'm falling behind in this class

1. What is rotational equilibrium?

Rotational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not rotating or turning. This means that the net torque acting on the object is equal to zero.

2. How is rotational equilibrium different from translational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium refers to a state in which an object is not moving or changing its position. This means that the net force acting on the object is equal to zero. Rotational equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to a state in which an object is not rotating or turning. This means that the net torque acting on the object is equal to zero.

3. What factors affect rotational equilibrium?

The factors that affect rotational equilibrium include the distribution of mass, the position of the center of mass, and the forces or torques acting on the object. The shape and orientation of the object can also play a role.

4. How can rotational equilibrium be achieved?

To achieve rotational equilibrium, the net torque acting on the object must be equal to zero. This can be achieved by balancing the forces and torques acting on the object, or by arranging the object in a way that its center of mass is directly above its support point.

5. How is rotational equilibrium used in real-world applications?

Rotational equilibrium is used in various real-world applications, such as building structures, bridges, and machines. It is also important in sports, particularly in activities that involve throwing or balancing objects. Additionally, rotational equilibrium is crucial in understanding the movement and stability of vehicles and aircraft.