Need help with the reaction of neutrons and electrons

In summary, The proposed reaction of high energy electrons colliding with neutrons or neutron-rich nuclei (n+e^{-}\to \Delta^{-}+\nu_e) is possible, but weakly interacting. It may be masked by the much stronger electromagnetic interaction between the neutron and electron, making it difficult to study experimentally.
Ruslan_Sharipov
Please let me know if the following reaction is possible for high energy electrons colliding with neutrons or neutron-rich nuclei:
[tex]
n+e^{-}\to \Delta^{-}+\nu_e.\tag{1}
[/tex]
If it is forbidden for some conservation law or for some other reason, please give me an explanation why. This reaction is analogous to the following ones, which are not forbidden:
[tex]
\begin{gather}
p+p\to D+e^{+}+\nu_e,\tag{2}\\
n\to p+e^{-}+\bar\nu_e,\tag{3}\\
p+e^{-}\to n+\nu_e.\tag{4}
\end{gather}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Not a homework assignment. I am 57, too old for homework. I just want to discuss the reaction that I did not find anywhere on the Web.

Hello,

The interaction for case (1) is weak, because a charged lepton is turned into neutral lepton. So, the quantum numbers that must be conserved are electrical charge (ok), barionic number (ok), energy (ok?). Let's see angular momentum:

J(n) = 1/2
J(e-)=1/2
J(D-)=3/2
J(ne)=1/2

The combination of J_in = 1/2 x 1/2 = {1,0} (neutron + electron angular momentum)
The combination of J_out = 3/2 x 1/2 x L = {2,1,0} x L (D- + neutrino angular momentum

So if L = 3,2,1 or 0, the total angular momentum is conserved. Let's say angular momentum can be conserved.

If the reaction is mediated by the weak interaction, parity can be violated.

Maybe I am forgetting something, but I don't remember other quantum numbers that must be conserved for weak interactions.

From the experimental point of view, if neutrinos are involved in the reaction, the effects of electromagnetic force neutron-electron (which are orders of magnitude stronger) will disguise/shadow of the weak interactions; ie, the cross section of this reaction will be much smaller than other possible reactions (n+e- -> other things).

I hope it can help.

Regards,
ORF

Ruslan_Sharipov said:
Please let me know if the following reaction is possible for high energy electrons colliding with neutrons or neutron-rich nuclei:
[tex]
n+e^{-}\to \Delta^{-}+\nu_e.\tag{1}
[/tex]
If it is forbidden for some conservation law or for some other reason […]
I just want to discuss the reaction that I did not find anywhere on the Web.
[/tex]

Well it is not so absent from out there... it's very similar to the neutrino deep inelastic scattering processes, where the electron and neutrino are swapped (you shoot neutrinos and study the inner structure of the protons/neutrons). Of course the charges need readjustment.

ORF said:
energy (ok?)
You don't really have to think about the energy in MANY--->MANY processes in order to say if they are forbidden or not. Of course you might need a threshold to produce the final state particles but that doesn't forbid the interaction for you.

ChrisVer said:
Well it is not so absent from out there... it's very similar to the neutrino deep inelastic scattering processes, where the electron and neutrino are swapped (you shoot neutrinos and study the inner structure of the protons/neutrons). Of course the charges need readjustment.
For neutrinos you have weak interactions only, so it is (comparatively) easy to study them. For electrons at the energies needed for this reaction you have the electromagnetic interaction which will completely dominate the collision processes.

mfb said:
For neutrinos you have weak interactions only, so it is (comparatively) easy to study them. For electrons at the energies needed for this reaction you have the electromagnetic interaction which will completely dominate the collision processes.

Yup. Noting though that I was referring to whether the interaction is forbidden or not.

1. What is the reaction between neutrons and electrons?

The reaction between neutrons and electrons is known as beta decay. During this process, a neutron in an unstable atom decays into a proton, releasing an electron and an antineutrino. This reaction is a result of the weak nuclear force.

2. How does this reaction occur?

The reaction between neutrons and electrons occurs in an atom's nucleus. The neutron emits a high-energy electron, also known as a beta particle, and transforms into a proton. This process releases a lot of energy and helps stabilize the atom.

3. What is the significance of this reaction?

The reaction between neutrons and electrons is essential in maintaining the stability of atoms. Without this process, atoms with too many neutrons would become unstable and eventually decay into a more stable form. This reaction also plays a crucial role in nuclear fission and fusion processes.

4. Can this reaction be controlled or harnessed?

Yes, this reaction can be controlled and harnessed in nuclear power plants. The energy released during the beta decay process can be used to generate electricity. However, controlling this reaction requires careful and precise engineering to prevent any potential dangers.

5. Are there any other reactions involving neutrons and electrons?

Yes, there are other reactions involving neutrons and electrons, such as neutron capture and neutron emission. In neutron capture, a neutron is absorbed by an atom, resulting in the formation of a new element. In neutron emission, a nucleus emits a neutron to become more stable.