Need help with this simultaneous equation

• Thread starter gazza123
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the simultaneous equations y = x2 - x - 6 and x - y + 2 = 0, make y the subject of the second equation and equate it to the first equation. Then, solve the resulting quadratic equation and substitute the value of x into the second equation to find the corresponding value of y.
gazza123
I've got to solver the simultaneous equations
y = x2 - x - 6
and
x - y + 2 = 0

I've tried it four different times and failed each time. :frown:

Cheers.

PS. x2 = x squared

Mathematics news on Phys.org
make y the subject of the 2nd one, equate the two, and solve it like a quadratic...?

ie. x+2=x^2-x-6

gazza123 said:
I've got to solver the simultaneous equations
y = x2 - x - 6
and
x - y + 2 = 0
I've tried it four different times and failed each time. :frown:
Cheers.
PS. x2 = x squared

From the second equation, y= x+ 2 so the first equation becomes
x+ 2= x2- x- 6 or x2- 2x- 8= 0.
Solve that equation. That's easy to factor. Once you have x, put it into y= x+ 2 to find the corresponding y.

What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a mathematical equation that contains two or more variables and must be solved at the same time.

Why do I need help with solving simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations can be complex and requires a thorough understanding of algebraic concepts. It is common for individuals to seek help when encountering these types of equations.

What are the methods used to solve simultaneous equations?

The most common methods used to solve simultaneous equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of method depends on the given equations.

What are the applications of simultaneous equations in science?

Simultaneous equations are commonly used in science to model and solve real-world problems. They can be used in fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics.

Are there any tips for solving simultaneous equations?

One tip for solving simultaneous equations is to first simplify the equations by combining like terms and then choose a method (substitution, elimination, or graphing) that best fits the given equations. It also helps to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equations.