Need phyeics help (electric charge/Forces)

• Thread starter austin1250
  • Start date
In summary: For the first one they tell you how many atoms per gram. They tell you how many -e per atom ... where is the problem?
austin1250

Homework Statement

K i need help with like 3 phyics problem on electric forces / charges.

1. One gram of copper has 9.48 10^21 atoms, and each copper atom has 29 electrons.

(a) How many electrons are contained in 1.08 g of copper?
_________ electrons

b. What is the total charge of these electrons?
__________ C

2. Calculate the net charge on a substance consisting of a combination of 7.5 10^13 protons and 4.2 10^13 electrons.
___________ C

3. An alpha particle (charge = +2.0e) is sent at high speed toward a gold nucleus (charge = +79e). What is the electric force acting on the alpha particle when the alpha particle is 4.8 10^-14 m from the gold nucleus?
_______________ N

Homework Equations

Elctron -1.6 x 10^-19
Proton: 1.6 x 10^-19
Coulombs Law: Felectric = Kc (q1*q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

alright iv been having trouble since our teacher did not teach us anything about these barley and the book doesn't help at all.

1st one i don't know where to start.

2nd one i tried just simply adding them together and that didnt work and then i tried using pythagorm theorm because iwas maybe thinking that the net force you need to find like the triange.

3rd one i plugged into the columbs law and i got 6.2x10^38 and i think i got that wrong too?

Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ight well i actully figured out the last two. but i still can seem to get the 1st one. iv tried all that i can think of can some one help me with that please?

For the first one they tell you how many atoms per gram. They tell you how many -e per atom ... where is the problem?

LowlyPion said:
For the first one they tell you how many atoms per gram. They tell you how many -e per atom ... where is the problem?

the problem is i get the first part of the question, i do 29 * 9.48e21 then multiply it by 1.08 and get my answer 2.962e23

then how do i find the total charge? do i multiply that by -1.6e-19?

Exactly.

1. What is the difference between electric charge and electric force?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how it interacts with electromagnetic fields. Electric force, on the other hand, is the force that exists between two charged particles or objects.

2. How is electric charge measured?

The unit for measuring electric charge is the coulomb (C). It can be measured using an instrument called an electroscope.

3. What is the law of electric force?

The law of electric force, also known as Coulomb's law, states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. How do opposite charges and like charges interact?

Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other. This is due to the exchange of virtual particles called photons, which carry the electromagnetic force.

5. How does the presence of other charges affect the electric force between two charged objects?

The presence of other charges in the vicinity can alter the electric force between two charged objects. This is because the charges can create an electric field that affects the behavior of other charges in the area.