Need precise and perfectly balanced balls fabricated, any ideas where?

• Thread starter waddlecaudle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls Ideas
In summary: They have a wide variety of perfectly spherical and balanced metal balls that can be drilled precisely through the center. In summary, the person is looking for two perfectly spherical, perfectly balanced metal balls, one of which needs to be precisely drilled through the center. They are not a professional engineer, but have a background in chemistry, math, and physics and are looking for accurate metal fabricators. The size and precision needed for the balls is not specified, but they do mention needing a larger ball (~25kg) and a smaller ball (~5kg). They are referred to a company that specializes in precision metal balls, which may be expensive.
waddlecaudle
I am working on a hobby project. I need 2 perfectly spherical, perfectly balanced, pure metal (ie. pure titanium, aluminum, etc.) balls made, and then I need one (the larger one) to be precisely drilled through the center. It is essential that everything is done in an extremely accurate manner. I don't really know of any places to look or even get started. I am no professional engineer, but I am a chemistry major with minors in math and physics and specialization in thermodynamics that loves to tinker. However, most metal fabricators don't have the means to be quite as accurate as I need them to, at least the ones I have looked at. Any help is, as always, appreciated and thank you for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No such thing as perfect. How precise do you need? There are commercially available balls which are precise to within 0.0001" of a 'perfect' sphere.

Haha sorry, forget with engineers you go to crazy decimals. I would consider that more than accurate enough. Are they balanced? I basically need the small balls center to go through the large balls center. Its just a piece for a project I have been working on for a while, but all parts of the whole are essential in this case :) Thanks for the help.

By balanced you mean they have a uniform density?
Then yes most metal ball bearing will be good to parts-per-million.

The main question is how big do you need them?
0.25in diamter steel ball bearings accurate to 0.0001in are available in your local bike shop for nothing.
A 10m diameter telescope mirror will cost a little more!

Drilling a hole through the center of a hard metal with a precision lathe to 1/1000in isn't too difficult

Last edited:
Sorry yes I do mean uniform density, as to cause the ball to be completely balanced. The size of the ball isn't quite as important as its mass, which is of course reliant upon the density of the metal used. I would need a ~25kg large ball and a ~5kg small ball. The small ball needs to pass through the hole in the large ball with the distance between the center of mass the 2 objects (why it needs to be balanced or have uniform density) being less than .00001m. Anyone know where I could get something like this.

A 25kg ball of say steel is about 18cm diameter, a 5kg one about 10cm.
For a surface finish of 0.01mm (10um) you are probably ok polishing it - you don't care about exactly what diameter you end up with as long as it's smooth.
You could bore a hole with a 10um accuracy - might need to diamond turn the inner surface to get that finish.

Where might I find something like this?

You guys are awesome, thanks so much

I would recommend Bal-Tec (precisionballs.com) as well.

1. What materials are commonly used for fabricating precise and perfectly balanced balls?

Many manufacturers use materials such as stainless steel, tungsten, or ceramic for fabricating precise and perfectly balanced balls. These materials are known for their high durability and ability to maintain balance.

2. Where can I find a company that specializes in fabricating precise and perfectly balanced balls?

There are several companies that specialize in fabricating precise and perfectly balanced balls, such as precision machining companies or ball bearing manufacturers. It is important to research and compare different companies to find one that meets your specific needs.

3. How can I ensure that the balls are perfectly balanced?

To ensure the balls are perfectly balanced, precision equipment such as a balancer or calibrator is used during the fabrication process. This equipment measures and adjusts the weight and distribution of the ball to achieve perfect balance.

4. Can I request custom specifications for the balls?

Yes, many companies that fabricate precise and perfectly balanced balls offer custom specifications to meet the specific needs of their clients. This may include size, weight, material, and other features.

5. How long does it take to fabricate these balls?

The time it takes to fabricate precise and perfectly balanced balls can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the availability of materials. It is best to consult with the manufacturing company to get an estimated timeline for your specific project.