Class Project: Tennis Ball Launcher

In summary, the conversation was about finding 2 cheap electric motors that are powerful enough to launch a tennis ball a few feet for a class project. The requirements for the project were discussed, including a strict budget of $75 and limitations on the design. The use of motors, springs, and slings were suggested as possible launching systems.
blixel
What I'm here to find out
I am in the early stages of planning for a tennis ball launcher I'm doing with my group for a class project. I want to find 2 cheap electric motors that will spin fast enough, and have enough torque, so that I can attach some wheels to the spinning motors for the purpose of launching a tennis ball a few feet. (See details.)

Does anyone know where I can buy such a thing? One idea I had was to purchase 2 cheap fans and take the motors out of them. But I do not know if that would work. Not sure if I could control them well enough to hit the target distance (see details), or if cheaper motors are available (see details) that would work as well or better.

Details
Since it's a class project, we obviously can't buy an off-the-shelf unit. However, we can base our design on any existing unit we find as long as we mention the source in our final report.

The requirements are that the ball must launch 6 to 10 feet (~1.83 to ~3.05 meters). No more, no less. It can initially land at less than 6 feet and then roll the rest of the distance. But the test will be done on grass, so we can't expect much, if any, rolling distance.

We have a strict $75 budget for this project. All receipts must be kept and turned in at the completion of the project. So keeping cost down is a high priority. Since this is a class project, it doesn't have to be high quality, look good, or last a long time. In fact, it only has to work twice on the day of testing. After that, it can be scrapped. :)

Note: We cannot just get a long piece of PVC pipe, drop the ball in at the top, have it roll down the pipe, go up an incline, and then launch out the top. The maximum height of the entire device is limited to 4 feet, so that wouldn't work even if it were allowed.

The device must have some kind of launching system but cannot use fire, chemical explosions, or steam (boiling water). We can use motors (battery powered or extension cord.) Springs and slings are also allowed, but the device must self-reset, so I think a motor driven system would be the least problematic

In order to minimize unpredictability in the launch distance (due to rolling), I am thinking a steep-ish launch angle would be a good idea. That way the ball would go up in an arc, and mostly stay put when it hits the ground. I'm not sure how much velocity will be lost due to air resistance, but a preliminary calculation tells me that with a launch angle of 70 degrees, I would need an initial velocity of about 5.5 m/s to go comfortably past 6 feet without worrying about going over 10 feet. (Again, due to air resistance, that may prove to be more like 6+ m/s.) But the point is, it doesn't have to go very fast.

Summarizing
I'm open to any other ideas, but given the above details, and the little bit of online searching I've done, I think motors are the way to go. Since this is a popular project, I am hoping someone here has done this before and can offer some suggestions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
blixel said:
What I'm here to find out
I am in the early stages of planning for a tennis ball launcher I'm doing with my group for a class project. I want to find 2 cheap electric motors that will spin fast enough, and have enough torque, so that I can attach some wheels to the spinning motors for the purpose of launching a tennis ball a few feet. (See details.)

Does anyone know where I can buy such a thing? One idea I had was to purchase 2 cheap fans and take the motors out of them. But I do not know if that would work. Not sure if I could control them well enough to hit the target distance (see details), or if cheaper motors are available (see details) that would work as well or better.

Details
Since it's a class project, we obviously can't buy an off-the-shelf unit. However, we can base our design on any existing unit we find as long as we mention the source in our final report.

The requirements are that the ball must launch 6 to 10 feet (~1.83 to ~3.05 meters). No more, no less. It can initially land at less than 6 feet and then roll the rest of the distance. But the test will be done on grass, so we can't expect much, if any, rolling distance.

We have a strict $75 budget for this project. All receipts must be kept and turned in at the completion of the project. So keeping cost down is a high priority. Since this is a class project, it doesn't have to be high quality, look good, or last a long time. In fact, it only has to work twice on the day of testing. After that, it can be scrapped. :)

Note: We cannot just get a long piece of PVC pipe, drop the ball in at the top, have it roll down the pipe, go up an incline, and then launch out the top. The maximum height of the entire device is limited to 4 feet, so that wouldn't work even if it were allowed.

The device must have some kind of launching system but cannot use fire, chemical explosions, or steam (boiling water). We can use motors (battery powered or extension cord.) Springs and slings are also allowed, but the device must self-reset, so I think a motor driven system would be the least problematic

In order to minimize unpredictability in the launch distance (due to rolling), I am thinking a steep-ish launch angle would be a good idea. That way the ball would go up in an arc, and mostly stay put when it hits the ground. I'm not sure how much velocity will be lost due to air resistance, but a preliminary calculation tells me that with a launch angle of 70 degrees, I would need an initial velocity of about 5.5 m/s to go comfortably past 6 feet without worrying about going over 10 feet. (Again, due to air resistance, that may prove to be more like 6+ m/s.) But the point is, it doesn't have to go very fast.

Summarizing
I'm open to any other ideas, but given the above details, and the little bit of online searching I've done, I think motors are the way to go. Since this is a popular project, I am hoping someone here has done this before and can offer some suggestions.
What is the exact project problem statement and what are the exact rules?

I wouldn't use spinning wheels as my first choice. Way too hard to be accurate with that inexpensively. There are a couple other inexpensive ways to do short distance launchers for this project, as long as the rules allow it. What other light ball short range launcher mechanisms have you looked into?

berkeman said:
What is the exact project problem statement and what are the exact rules?

I wouldn't use spinning wheels as my first choice. Way too hard to be accurate with that inexpensively. There are a couple other inexpensive ways to do short distance launchers for this project, as long as the rules allow it. What other light ball short range launcher mechanisms have you looked into?

Thanks for the reply. I'd be interested in hearing what the other ideas are. As far as the rules, I'll outline them again here:
  1. $75 budget. Firm.
  2. Maximum height: 4 feet tall. (And also 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep.)
  3. Launch distance 6 to 10 feet. No more, no less.
  4. Cannot just use gravity. (Can't just roll the device down a tube.)
  5. No fire, boiling, or chemical reactions (including gas).
  6. Motors, electrical cords, batteries OK.
  7. Has to work 2 times on test day.
  8. Must self-reset. (Which is why I think springs and slings are a bad idea.)
I can add this: The story behind the device is that it's intended to be used by a dog. (Though, it won't be.) So the ball needs to be placed into some kind of container that will be at a height of exactly 18 inches off the ground. So it doesn't need to have a large holding bin full of tennis balls that will launch rapidly. The ball will be placed into the container, and then launched. The idea being that the dog would retrieve the ball, carry it back to the launcher, drop it into the container, and off it goes again. Repeat until dog is bored.

Those are the rules/requirements. Beyond that, we have a bit of creative freedom. If for some reason we needed the ball to be elevated to the maximum height of 4 feet, we can build that into our design. But I don't see any point in doing something like that. I would think the ball could be placed at the required height, and then it could roll into a pipe that would have the two spinning motors connected to wheels that would thrust it up the pipe at some angle that would allow it to launch at an arc to cover the required distance.

blixel said:
Thanks for the reply. I'd be interested in hearing what the other ideas are. As far as the rules, I'll outline them again here:
  1. $75 budget. Firm.
  2. Maximum height: 4 feet tall. (And also 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep.)
  3. Launch distance 6 to 10 feet. No more, no less.
  4. Cannot just use gravity. (Can't just roll the device down a tube.)
  5. No fire, boiling, or chemical reactions (including gas).
  6. Motors, electrical cords, batteries OK.
  7. Has to work 2 times on test day.
  8. Must self-reset. (Which is why I think springs and slings are a bad idea.)
I can add this: The story behind the device is that it's intended to be used by a dog. (Though, it won't be.) So the ball needs to be placed into some kind of container that will be at a height of exactly 18 inches off the ground. So it doesn't need to have a large holding bin full of tennis balls that will launch rapidly. The ball will be placed into the container, and then launched. The idea being that the dog would retrieve the ball, carry it back to the launcher, drop it into the container, and off it goes again. Repeat until dog is bored.

Those are the rules/requirements. Beyond that, we have a bit of creative freedom. If for some reason we needed the ball to be elevated to the maximum height of 4 feet, we can build that into our design. But I don't see any point in doing something like that. I would think the ball could be placed at the required height, and then it could roll into a pipe that would have the two spinning motors connected to wheels that would thrust it up the pipe at some angle that would allow it to launch at an arc to cover the required distance.
That's very helpful.

Yes, I was thinking of a reset-able spring-based launcher. That would be much easier and more accurate for short-distance launching, IMO.

BTW, I think I remember a video of a dog playing with such a ball launcher in the home of his owner. Have you seen it? It was pretty funny how much fun the dog was having retrieving the ball and dropping it in the launcher. I think it may have used spring-loaded arm launcher, but I'm not sure. I can try to find it if you haven't seen it already.

A simple slider crank mechanism is enough,first calculate how much velocity the ball should have to reach a height 4ft and distance 10ft , this could be done with projectiles calculations,-where from you could easily find the motor speed etc.,

malemdk said:
A simple slider crank mechanism is enough,first calculate how much velocity the ball should have to reach a height 4ft and distance 10ft , this could be done with projectiles calculations,-where from you could easily find the motor speed etc.,

The ball itself doesn't have to reach any particular height. The 4' x 4' x 4' dimensions are the maximum size of the device. But we could launch the ball 20 feet in the air if we wanted, so long as it falls back down within 6 to 10 feet and doesn't roll backwards or forwards outside of that range. The final position is what will be measured, not the point where it first touches down. The ground will be flat, and it will be landing in grass, so the rolling distance shouldn't be much of an issue.

But getting back to your statement about using a slider crank, I'm linking to this short animation below. I just want to make sure this is what you are talking about?

Thats exactly what I mean,
Position the slider inside a tube

and makes the tube at angle of 45degree to the ground you could fire a ball to max distance

A spring loaded pusher with a motor driven retractor/release may be more effective and consistent.

Likes Tom.G
Why not look for old printer motors and the drivers

Before you mentioned the dog using it, my first thought was that a golf-club style pendulum swinging down would be a good way to control the distance - simply pull it further back if it needs to punt it further. this wouldn't be that safe though, as it could kick the dog in the head if it went off at the wrong time.

for such a short distance, I wonder if a solenoid would move quickly enough to "kick" the ball out of a tube.

a method which could work would be to have an elastic slingshot, which runs through slots either side of the aiming tube, so that the sling sits inside the tube. Put a powerful magnet on the back of the sling, and then have a crank which pushes a rod up and down behind it. Put a magnet on the end of the rod, so that it goes forward, grabs the sling, and then pulls it back into the tube (stretching the slingshot) until the tension overpowers the magnet, releasing the slingshot and firing the ball. it could easily repeat this motion over and over. Simply change the magnet strength, or put a mechanical stop in for the slingshot (so the crank pulls the rod away from the sling, releasing it) to adjust the force of the launch.

angle the tube upwards and put a funnel on the end, and the dog can drop the ball in, wait a second and then it will launch.

you could alternatively use a latch to pull the slingshot back, which you could link to something which stops the tennis ball falling in until it's the correct time in the cycle. but that might be needlessly complex for what you want.

What is a tennis ball launcher?

A tennis ball launcher is a device used to launch tennis balls at a high velocity, usually for the purpose of playing tennis or other games.

How does a tennis ball launcher work?

A tennis ball launcher typically uses a spring or compressed air to shoot the tennis ball out of a tube or barrel. The spring or compressed air is triggered by a mechanism, such as a lever or button, and the force propels the ball forward.

What materials are needed to build a tennis ball launcher?

The materials needed to build a tennis ball launcher can vary depending on the design, but some common materials include PVC pipes, wood, rubber bands, springs, and screws. It is also important to have tools such as a saw, drill, and glue for assembly.

How far can a tennis ball launcher launch a ball?

The distance a tennis ball launcher can launch a ball depends on several factors, such as the design of the launcher, the force used to launch the ball, and the weight of the ball. On average, a homemade tennis ball launcher can launch a ball anywhere from 10-50 feet.

Are there any safety concerns when using a tennis ball launcher?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using a tennis ball launcher. It is important to follow instructions carefully and wear protective gear, such as goggles, when using the launcher. It is also important to use the launcher in a safe and open area, away from people and objects, to avoid any accidents.