Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need proof re prime of the form 8N +/-1

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    I need help or direction on how to prove that if A = S^2 - (T^2 + T)/2 Then 8A-1 can not be factored into the form B*C where B and C are coprime and each of the form 8N+/-3. For instance -4*8-1 = -33 can be factored as -3*(8+3) and 5*8-1 = 39 = 3*(8*2-3). Thus neither -4 or 5 can be expressed as S^2 -(T^2+T)/2 where S and T are integers.

So far I have proven that if A = f(S,T) = S^2 - (T^2+T)/2 then A = f(S',T') where S' = 3S + 2T +1 and T' = 4S + 3T + 1, but I don't know where to go from there.

Any ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
    S^2 = 1, 4, 9, 16, 25 ...
    (T^2 +T)/2 = 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21...

9-1 = 8; 8*8-1 = 63; 63 = 3*(8*3-3).
    therefore your statement is false.
    edit: nm, missed the co prime part.
    okay; i programmed a check up to many values, as far as i can tell this is true.
    how to prove ti is beyond me though.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    Thankyou for your post. Glad to see that someone was interested enough to check my apparent finding.

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Suppose p is prime, 3 or 5 mod 8.
    Easy to show that p cannot be expressed as 2*a2-b2.
    Also seems to be true that if p|2*a2-b2 then so does p2. That looks like it might be associated with your observation.

6. Nov 15, 2012 #5
    Hi Ramsey, your observation is a consequence of the following:

Lemma: Let N=2x2-y2 with x and y integers. Let p|N be a prime of the form 8k±3. Then ordp(N) is even. (By ordp(N) we mean the exponent of p in the factorization of N.)

Proof: First recall that 2 is a quadratic residue modulo a prime q if and only if q is of the form 8k±1. Since p|N we have 2x2 = y2(mod p). Since 2 is a quadratic nonresidue, it follows that y=x=0 (mod p), and all the terms of the equation N=2x2-y2 can be divided by p2. Repeat as long as N has prime factors of the form 8k±3, and qed.

Your observation follows immediately from this by setting N=8A-1, x=2S, y=2T+1, and by observing that in a coprime factorization N=bc, all factors pa are of the form 8k±1.

I assume the lemma is well known, but I couldn't immediately find a reference. It is analogous to the celebrated theorem about sums of two squares, one version being: A positive integer N can be written as a sum of two squares if and only if for all primes p of the form 4k+3, ordp(N) is even.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook