Need simple help with: Duality of Light and Gravity Lenses

In summary, the individual apologizes for a double thread post and asks for help understanding the concept of "duality of nature" in relation to the scientific model of light. They also ask if this model is complete in explaining light and request diagrams and scientific evidence for explanations. They then move on to their homework questions about gravity lenses, asking what they are and what problems they pose when mapping heavenly bodies. Finally, they ask for suggestions on how astronomers could overcome these problems.
giv_me_rep
hello members of www.physicsforums.com !
primarily i want to apologize for the double thread post; i posted another thread at this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1950906#post1950906 and i am afraid it was homework and i did not see the homework section so please forgive me...

I am hear to ask you a few questions about the "duality of nature"

now as most of you would know; our scientific model of light is considered to encompass a "duality of nature" unfortunately i don't really know this :P

so hence; my first question is:

what exactly does this phrase mean? (please show diagrams where necessary)

My second question is: is this scientific model of light complete in explainging the phenomenon of light?

if you could help me on this i would be extremely thankful!
note: please back up argument with scientific evidence where possible.

The second topic i need help with is this:

If you are unlike me and experienced with physics you are likelly to know that astronomers sometimes come across what are called "gravity lenses".
my homework is simply this;
1) what is a gravity lense?
2) what are the problems associated with them when mapping heavenly bodies in the universe?
3) what is a suggested method that astronomers could use to overcome these associated problems?

thanking you i advanced - Giv_Me_Rep

Physics news on Phys.org
giv_me_rep said:
hello members of www.physicsforums.com !
primarily i want to apologize for the double thread post; i posted another thread at this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1950906#post1950906 and i am afraid it was homework and i did not see the homework section so please forgive me...

I am hear to ask you a few questions about the "duality of nature"

now as most of you would know; our scientific model of light is considered to encompass a "duality of nature" unfortunately i don't really know this :P

so hence; my first question is:

what exactly does this phrase mean? (please show diagrams where necessary)

My second question is: is this scientific model of light complete in explainging the phenomenon of light?

if you could help me on this i would be extremely thankful!
note: please back up argument with scientific evidence where possible.

The second topic i need help with is this:

If you are unlike me and experienced with physics you are likelly to know that astronomers sometimes come across what are called "gravity lenses".
my homework is simply this;
1) what is a gravity lense?
2) what are the problems associated with them when mapping heavenly bodies in the universe?
3) what is a suggested method that astronomers could use to overcome these associated problems?

thanking you i advanced - Giv_Me_Rep
What kind of help do you want? It's impossible to give hints or make suggestions if we have no idea what you already know or don't know about these things and we can't know that if you don't tell us.

i know NOTHING at all :) just need those things answered really basically if possible :)

bump bump bump..

update:
i have done everything so far myself except i am having some difficulty with the issues associated with gravity lenses when attempting to map out the heavenly bodies in the universe as well as a method that astronomers could use to overcome these associated problems..

i am no longer looking for answers as i know that is not what you do here :)

i am really just looking for ideas and concepts.

1) what problems do gravity lenses produce when trying to map out heavenly bodies?

2) what is a method that astronomers could use to overcome these associated problems?

thank you all!

1. What is the duality of light?

The duality of light refers to the concept that light exhibits both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that light can behave as a wave with properties such as diffraction and interference, but also as a particle with properties such as momentum and energy.

2. How do gravity lenses work?

Gravity lenses, also known as gravitational lenses, are created when light from a distant object is bent by the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a galaxy or cluster of galaxies. This bending causes the light to appear distorted or magnified, allowing us to see objects that would otherwise be too faint to detect.

3. What is the relationship between light and gravity lenses?

The relationship between light and gravity lenses is that gravity can cause light to bend, which leads to the creation of gravity lenses. This is due to Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that gravity is the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects.

4. How are gravity lenses used in astronomy?

Gravity lenses are used in astronomy to study distant and faint objects in the universe, such as galaxies and quasars. By magnifying and distorting the light from these objects, scientists can gather more information about their properties and behavior.

5. Can gravity lenses be used to see beyond the observable universe?

No, gravity lenses cannot be used to see beyond the observable universe. The observable universe is limited by the speed of light, and gravity lenses cannot change this fundamental limitation. However, they can help us see more distant objects within the observable universe that would otherwise be too faint to detect.