1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need simple help with: Duality of Light and Gravity Lenses

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    hello members of www.physicsforums.com !
    primarily i want to apologize for the double thread post; i posted another thread at this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1950906#post1950906 and i am afraid it was homework and i did not see the homework section so please forgive me...

I am hear to ask you a few questions about the "duality of nature"

now as most of you would know; our scientific model of light is considered to encompass a "duality of nature" unfortunately i don't really know this :P

so hence; my first question is:

what exactly does this phrase mean? (please show diagrams where necessary)

My second question is: is this scientific model of light complete in explainging the phenomenon of light?

if you could help me on this i would be extremely thankful!
    note: please back up argument with scientific evidence where possible.

The second topic i need help with is this:

If you are unlike me and experienced with physics you are likelly to know that astronomers sometimes come across what are called "gravity lenses".
    my homework is simply this;
    1) what is a gravity lense?
    2) what are the problems associated with them when mapping heavenly bodies in the universe?
    3) what is a suggested method that astronomers could use to overcome these associated problems?

thanking you i advanced - Giv_Me_Rep

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What kind of help do you want? It's impossible to give hints or make suggestions if we have no idea what you already know or don't know about these things and we can't know that if you don't tell us.

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3
    i know NOTHING at all :) just need those things answered really basically if possible :)

5. Nov 14, 2008 #4
    bump bump bump..

update:
    i have done everything so far myself except i am having some difficulty with the issues associated with gravity lenses when attempting to map out the heavenly bodies in the universe as well as a method that astronomers could use to overcome these associated problems..

i am no longer looking for answers as i know that is not what you do here :)

i am really just looking for ideas and concepts.

1) what problems do gravity lenses produce when trying to map out heavenly bodies?

2) what is a method that astronomers could use to overcome these associated problems?

thank you all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?