Understanding Interference Patterns and the Wave/Particle Duality of Light

• Archived
  • Thread starter Gewitter_05
  • Start date
In summary, Helium-neon lasers typically have a power rating of 1mW and produce monochromatic light at a wavelength of 632.8 nm. In a lab setting, a physicist is attempting to determine the energy absorbed and associated with each click when a detector is placed over one of the slits in a double-slit experiment. They successfully determine the energy absorbed by using the equation E=hf and the energy associated with each click is the same as in (c). When one slit is blocked, the light detected behind the slits can only come from the unblocked slit, leading to a single-slit pattern and demonstrating the wave/particle duality of light.
Gewitter_05

Homework Statement

Helium-neon lasers like those we've used in lab typically have power ratings of 1mW. They produce monochromatic light with a wavelength of 632.8 nm. Recall that c=λf

I solved a and b, correctly I assume. I am having problems with c and d.

c) At the power rating determined in part b the interference pattern behind the slits forms slowly. It needs to be observed with a long exposure time photographic plate or a bank of detectors. Assume the detector bank is used and consider a detector placed so that maxima forms at its position. How much energy is absorbed each time the detector makes a reading? Explain how you know.

d) A crafty physicist decides he can determine which slit the single photon passes through. He places a detector over one of the slits (it blocks the slit). He feels satisfied in that he does get a series of readings (clicks) with his detector. How much energy is associated with each click?
He becomes frustrated though, in that the pattern that forms behind the slits is very different from the double slit pattern. What does this have to do with the wave/particle duality? And, which slit (or slits) does the single photon go through when the detector is removed and the pattern begins to form again? Discuss

Homework Equations

f=c/λ, Δt=d/c, P=nhf, E= PΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

For letter b I got the answer of 1.88x10^-10 W. Letter a was to find the rate (#/s) and I used the equations P=nhf and used the 1mW=nhf, then solved for n. I think I solved it right and got a number of 3.18x10^15. For letter b I used Δt=d/c and found the time, 1.67x10^-9s, E=PΔt ⇔ hf=PΔt = 1.88x10^-10 W.

I'm not sure how to find the energy absorbed or the energy in letter d. I remember my teacher talking about the double slit experiment and how when one lens or something was blocked, light acted more like a wave, but in the beginning a particle which is how the wave/particle duality came about.

Physics news on Phys.org
(c) is just the absorption of a single photon, so E=hf=hc/λ.
(d) same energy as ín (c). If one slit is blocked, the light detected behind the splits can only come from the unblocked slit, and a single-slit pattern forms.

Related to Understanding Interference Patterns and the Wave/Particle Duality of Light

1. What is an inferometer with slits?

An inferometer with slits is a scientific instrument used to measure the interference patterns of light. It consists of two narrow slits through which light passes, creating a pattern of light and dark fringes that can be measured and analyzed.

2. How does an inferometer with slits work?

An inferometer with slits works by splitting a beam of light into two coherent beams through the use of narrow slits. The two beams then interact with each other, creating a pattern of interference that can be observed and studied.

3. What is the purpose of using an inferometer with slits?

The purpose of using an inferometer with slits is to measure the properties of light, such as wavelength, intensity, and coherence. It is also commonly used in experiments to study the wave-like nature of light and to test theories of wave interference.

4. What are the limitations of an inferometer with slits?

One limitation of an inferometer with slits is that it can only measure the properties of light that is coherent and of a single wavelength. It is also sensitive to external disturbances, such as vibrations, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. How is an inferometer with slits different from other types of inferometers?

An inferometer with slits is different from other types of inferometers in that it uses narrow slits to create interference patterns, rather than other methods such as mirrors or gratings. It is also commonly used for studying the properties of light, while other types of inferometers may be used for different purposes such as measuring distances or detecting gravitational waves.