1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help to write the equations of these lines

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone
    So I have this homework and I need some help.
    I did not know how to write the equations here in the topic so I thought the best solution is to upload a picture of the notebook page.
    uploadfromtaptalk1393106279300.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These are all straight lines. Don't you know the equation of a straight line?

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Geometrically, a straight line is determined by two points. Any (non-vertical) line can be written y= ax+ b. Choose two points on each line. Replacing x and y with the x and y coordinates of those points gives you two equations to solve for a and b.

For example, if one line goes through (1, 3) and (3, 0) then 3= a(1)+ b and 0= a(3)+ b so we have the equations a+ b= 3 and 3a+ b= 0. Subtract the first equation from the second to get 2a= -3 so that a= -3/2. Then the first equation becomes a+ b= (-3/2)+ b= 3 so b= 3+ 3/2= 9/2. With a=-3/2 and b= 9/2, the equation is y= -(3/2)x+ 9/2 which could also be written 2y= -3x+ 9 or 3x+2y= 9.

(A vertical line can be written "x= constant".)

5. Feb 22, 2014 #4
    Thanks Hallsoflvy.

P.S: My cousin used my laptop and it seems that he posted this topic. I am very very sorry about this and it will never happen again.

6. Feb 24, 2014 #5
    Imho that's a little confusing. to find slope remember its m=[itex]\frac{y_2 - y_1}{x_2-x_1}[/itex] where it doesnt matter which order you use for y2 or y1. So to use example of line with (1,3) and (3,0), you could do it:

m = [itex]\frac{0-3}{3-1}[/itex] ⇔ [itex]\frac{3-0}{1-3}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]

y = mx+b, we want to find b, we already have m and can use one of the points above for (x,y):
    0 = (-[itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex])(3)+b → b = [itex]\frac{9}{2}[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted