Need some help with some math problems

• Thread starter eqlisa
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with questions for a test. The first question asks for a necessary and sufficient condition to test if a binary number is divisible by 2. The second question asks for the number of elements in the intersection of two sets. The third question asks for the sum of 10 binomial coefficients. The fourth question presents a scenario with a class of 93 students, and asks for the number of students who like both math and English. The person is reminded to attempt the questions themselves before seeking help.
eqlisa
Hello,

I was hoping I could get some help with some questions that I am struggling with for a test...

1. If a number is expressed in binary, which of the following is a necessary and sufficient condition to test whether it is divisible by 2?

a. If the number does not end in 0
b. If the alternating sum of the digits is 0 or divisible by 3
c. If the number includes an even number of 1's and an even number of 0's
d. If the number, when converted to decimal form, has the sum of its digits divisible by 3

2. If A=(1, 2, 3) and B=(3, 4, 5) how many elements are in the intersection of A and B?

a. 0
b. 1
c. 3
d. 5

3. What is the sum of the 10 binomial coefficients of the form C(9, k)?

a. 45
b. 362,880
c. 512
d. 1,729

4. There are 93 students in a class; 42 like Math, while 41 like English. If 30 students don't like either subject, how many students like both?

a. 10
b. 20
c. 41
d. The answer cannot be determined from the data given

Thank you very much,
Elisabeth

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to show some attempt at answering them yourself before you get help.

Hello Elisabeth,

I would be happy to assist you with these math problems. Let's go through each question step by step:

1. To test if a number in binary is divisible by 2, the necessary and sufficient condition is that the number ends in 0. This is because in binary, all even numbers end in 0 and all odd numbers end in 1. Therefore, if a number ends in 0, it is divisible by 2, and if it ends in 1, it is not divisible by 2. So the correct answer is a. If the number does not end in 0.

2. The intersection of two sets is the set of elements that they have in common. In this case, A and B have one element in common, which is the number 3. Therefore, the correct answer is b. 1.

3. Binomial coefficients are the numbers in the expansion of a binomial expression, such as (a + b)^n. In this case, we are looking at the coefficients of the binomial expression (1 + x)^9. The sum of these coefficients is equal to 2^n, where n is the exponent. In this case, n = 9, so the sum of the coefficients is 2^9 = 512. Therefore, the correct answer is c. 512.

4. To determine the number of students who like both Math and English, we need to first subtract the number of students who don't like either subject (30) from the total number of students (93). This leaves us with 63 students who like either Math or English or both. Since 42 students like Math and 41 like English, we can subtract these numbers from 63 to find the number of students who like both. This gives us 63 - 42 - 41 = 20 students who like both Math and English. Therefore, the correct answer is b. 20.

I hope this helps you with your test preparation. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck on your test!

1. What is the best way to approach a difficult math problem?

The best way to approach a difficult math problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the given information and the unknown variable. Then, brainstorm different strategies or formulas that could help solve the problem. Finally, work through each step carefully and double check your work to ensure accuracy.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a specific math problem?

It is important to first understand the concept or topic being covered in the math problem. From there, you can determine which formula or method is most appropriate to solve the problem. If you are still unsure, try plugging in the given information into different formulas and see which one yields the correct answer.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a math problem?

If you get stuck on a math problem, take a step back and try looking at it from a different perspective. Sometimes, taking a short break and coming back to the problem with a fresh mind can also be helpful. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

4. How can I improve my math problem-solving skills?

Practicing regularly and consistently is the best way to improve your math problem-solving skills. Also, try to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind each problem rather than just memorizing formulas. Additionally, challenge yourself by attempting more difficult problems and seeking out different resources for practice and learning.

5. Is it okay to use a calculator for math problems?

Using a calculator is perfectly fine for certain types of math problems, such as those involving large numbers or complex calculations. However, it is important to first attempt to solve the problem by hand to fully understand the steps and concepts involved. Relying too heavily on a calculator can hinder your problem-solving skills in the long run.