Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some key words to look up equipment

1. Jul 23, 2015 #1
    Hi all, we need to find a current source which automatically disables current after, say, 30 s. Does anyone know any specific names for that? My supervisor said he saw some but never returned my emails with the same question. That's project 'management' in academia for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

How much current? Can you just use a computer to control a standard current source?

4. Jul 23, 2015 #3
    Ok, that's a start. Thanks. I will look for computer-controlled sources with ~3 A of output.

5. Jul 23, 2015 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

6. Jul 23, 2015 #5

berkeman

WITW is that thing? The wikipedia page just confused me... o0)

7. Jul 23, 2015 #6

analogdesign

Science Advisor

As far as I know they are not commercially available and are still deep in research mode.

I think the OP needs a standard current source. That way he or she can control it using a trivial Labview program. Easy peasy.

Here is a very low cost option. The current control requires a 10 V logic pulse to turn it to 3A or off.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/i...tm?ref=gbase&gclid=CI_u09n98cYCFUdufgodJRkOjw

8. Jul 23, 2015 #7

berkeman

9. Jul 23, 2015 #8

analogdesign

Science Advisor

I had a quick look at the manual and it can be put into constant current mode. It seems really easy to use. Just a control voltage to set the current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook