Need some key words to look up equipment

Hi all, we need to find a current source which automatically disables current after, say, 30 s. Does anyone know any specific names for that? My supervisor said he saw some but never returned my emails with the same question. That's project 'management' in academia for me.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Hi all, we need to find a current source which automatically disables current after, say, 30 s. Does anyone know any specific names for that? My supervisor said he saw some but never returned my emails with the same question. That's project 'management' in academia for me.
Welcome to the PF.

How much current? Can you just use a computer to control a standard current source?

Ok, that's a start. Thanks. I will look for computer-controlled sources with ~3 A of output.

berkeman
Mentor
memristor.
WITW is that thing? The wikipedia page just confused me... o0)

analogdesign
Science Advisor
Technically speaking you need a memristor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor
As far as I know they are not commercially available and are still deep in research mode.

I think the OP needs a standard current source. That way he or she can control it using a trivial Labview program. Easy peasy.

Here is a very low cost option. The current control requires a 10 V logic pulse to turn it to 3A or off.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/i...tm?ref=gbase&gclid=CI_u09n98cYCFUdufgodJRkOjw

Likes berkeman
analogdesign
Science Advisor
Can that power supply be put into constant current mode? It sounds like the OP is looking for a current source instead of a voltage source. :smile:
I had a quick look at the manual and it can be put into constant current mode. It seems really easy to use. Just a control voltage to set the current.

Likes berkeman