1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some recommendations for books on Astrophysics and Astronomy

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    I'm hoping someone can recommend a couple of good books on some varied topics. I'm looking for a good, mature series of books on the planets or even one good book covering them all. I'm also looking for interesting reads on cosmology, solar physics and galaxies. If anyone can recommend some books, it'd be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
  4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the list!

5. Feb 9, 2010 #4
    Dark Raider gave a good list and I'd also throw in the following books for consideration:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosmologica...ics-Peacock/dp/0521422701/ref=pd_sim_b_3_img"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introductio...onal/dp/0321442849/ref=cm_lmf_tit_18_rsrsrs0" - This is an older edition but you can look at the newer editions if the price isn't too bad. This is a good all-rounder, can always look up the table of contents for a nice overview.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introductio...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265753062&sr=1-1" - Good introduction to stellar physics.

I'd certainly recommend Liddle's book mentioned above in Dark Raider's post for a good first introduction to Cosmology at undergraduate level (~ 3rd Year).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Feb 9, 2010 #5

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll & Ostlie is pretty much the bible.

7. Feb 22, 2010 #6
    Thank you all for the recommendations!

8. Feb 22, 2010 #7
    I'm using this book right now for a course in Astrophysics. It's exceptional. Only downside: tends to be pretty expensive.

9. Feb 22, 2010 #8
    You're not kidding. I plan on purchasing this book as soon as I get the money together though. I only hear good things about it. Since you're using it now, is there a fair ammount of calculus in it? I'm look for a book that uses calculus (as heavily as possible) primarily.

10. Feb 22, 2010 #9
    Yes, it's definitely calculus based. Like most good science books, the majority of the topics are explained conceptually and the derivations of the main equations are pretty rigorous. However, it's nothing like an upper level math book and the text actually reads like a novel provided you're familiar with basic vector calculus (up to multivariable) and some differential equations.

11. Mar 8, 2010 #10
    Hey that book mentioned it uses things like the Schroedinger Equation and such, yet I've also read that all you need is a semester of calc based physics to understand it.

Would just a course in ODE's (not hardcore PDE'S!) & multivariate calc sufficient for intro electromagnetism be enough to get through this book without any major stops?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook