Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some series/ summation help

1. Aug 11, 2009 #1
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\frac{e^{-\frac{1}{nx}}}{n}[/tex]

Where 0<x<oo.

I'm looking for a closed form/ closed representation for this series [I was thinking something like a polylogarithm or dirichlet eta function combination might work].

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2
    it does not converge...

4. Aug 13, 2009 #3
    Sure it does, it differs from [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex] by an absolutely convergent series.

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4
    If (-1)^n is being raised to [tex]\frac{e^{-\frac{1}{nx}}}{n}[/tex], i do not believe it converges. (it can also be simplified, the n's go away). please clarify what you mean.

6. Aug 14, 2009 #5
    I understand the confulsion. If you read the TeX code included, you can see what was actually written. The term to be summed is [itex](-1)^n[/itex] times a fraction:
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\;(-1)^{n}\left(\frac{e^{-\frac{1}{nx}}}{n}\right)[/tex]

7. Aug 16, 2009 #6
    Sorry about the confusion. I should have included the brackets as you demonstrated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook