1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to determine distance maximizing angle theta.

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A movie screen at the front of a room is 9 feet above the ground and 16 feet tall. Determine the distance X you must sit away from the screen in order to maximize your viewing angle.

[ I tried to make the picture :P. I need to find X]

[​IMG]

The little fish thing is i believe alpha...i don't know the Greek name for that.

2. Relevant equations

Well i figured that i need to do the tangent of both triangles and set them equal to each other, but i am confused if i need to take into account the second triangle for tan of theta.

I am comming up empty handed, and what i got was 25/tan[theta] but i don't think its right.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2
    help...anyone? i kinda need desperate help :P

4. Oct 31, 2008 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Good drawing! And, yes, that Greek letter is alpha.

What you need is an equation with theta as a function of x.

First, let's take care of alpha: cot(alpha) = x/9, so alpha = cot^(-1)(x/9).

Next, let's get a relationship between the larger angle and x.

tan(theta + alpha) = 25/x
    so theta + alpha = tan^(-1)(25/x)

But we already have alpha, so you should be able to get theta as a function of x; i.e., theta = f(x).

Now, do the usual and find d(theta)/dx and set it equal to 0.

Does that get you started?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?