Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need to evaluate an inf. series

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    For a series that is Sigma (n!)/(n^n), I did the ratio test and now I need to prove that limit (n^n)/(n+1)^n < 1, can someone give me a hand on how I can do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hint:the limit of [tex]\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^{-n}[/tex] should be very familiar...

4. Sep 20, 2006 #3
    Never seen it before...

5. Sep 20, 2006 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Caluclate its numeric value for n=1, n=2, n=10, and n=1000.

6. Sep 20, 2006 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've never seen:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n[/tex]

before?

Okie, try a comparison of your original sum with [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{2n^2}[/tex]

7. Sep 20, 2006 #6
    1/e, you could've just said it... as for your second suggestion, how the hell are the two series similar? Are you joking?

8. Sep 21, 2006 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I could have also done the whole problem for you, but what's the point of that? I make no apologies for expecting you to meet me well over half way.

No joke. Though I did mean the 2 to be in the numerator to make it more obvious (it doesn't end up mattering though, the terms in your series decay very fast), namely [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{2}{n^2}[/tex].

Break the terms of your series up into 'n' factors:

[tex]\frac{n!}{n^n}=\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)\left(\frac{2}{n}\right)\ldots\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)\left(\frac{n}{n}\right)[/tex]

Now compare with [tex]\frac{2}{n^2}[/tex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook