1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to evaluate an inf. series

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    For a series that is Sigma (n!)/(n^n), I did the ratio test and now I need to prove that limit (n^n)/(n+1)^n < 1, can someone give me a hand on how I can do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hint:the limit of [tex]\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^{-n}[/tex] should be very familiar...

4. Sep 20, 2006 #3
    Never seen it before...

5. Sep 20, 2006 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Caluclate its numeric value for n=1, n=2, n=10, and n=1000.

6. Sep 20, 2006 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've never seen:

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n[/tex]

before?

Okie, try a comparison of your original sum with [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{2n^2}[/tex]

7. Sep 20, 2006 #6
    1/e, you could've just said it... as for your second suggestion, how the hell are the two series similar? Are you joking?

8. Sep 21, 2006 #7

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I could have also done the whole problem for you, but what's the point of that? I make no apologies for expecting you to meet me well over half way.

No joke. Though I did mean the 2 to be in the numerator to make it more obvious (it doesn't end up mattering though, the terms in your series decay very fast), namely [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{2}{n^2}[/tex].

Break the terms of your series up into 'n' factors:

[tex]\frac{n!}{n^n}=\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)\left(\frac{2}{n}\right)\ldots\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)\left(\frac{n}{n}\right)[/tex]

Now compare with [tex]\frac{2}{n^2}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?