Need to find forces in S1 and S2

In summary, the conversation was about identifying forces in members 1 and 2 and determining if they are under compression or tension. Despite initial assumptions, it was concluded that both members are under tension to resist the resultant force from F1 and F2. It was also suggested to resolve the forces separately for easier solution.
goodOrBad
Homework Statement
I am given F1=2500N and F2=4000N
Relevant Equations
Fx=0
Fy=0
sti.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question?
Is that symbol an S?
Do you need to tell either compression or tension are acting on members 1 and 2?

To find forces in member 1 and 2 that is all, yes I just choose S as a symbol

I have obtained similar results via graphical vectorial addition.

The angles in your diagram are not at scale, which gave me the initial impression that member 2 would be working in compression mode.

However, both structural members are working under tension to resist the action of resultant force from F1 and F2 combination (approximately 6250 N at 40° from horizontal).

I confirm your answers, but it is easier if you resolve normally to each reaction force in turn. That gives you one equation to solve for each separately instead of having to solve simultaneous equations.

Likes goodOrBad
Yeah and when I see it now I see it would have been easier to just use the angles close to the x-axis

1. What are S1 and S2 forces?

S1 and S2 forces refer to the forces acting on an object in a specific direction. S1 is the force acting in the horizontal direction, while S2 is the force acting in the vertical direction.

2. Why is it important to find forces in S1 and S2?

Finding forces in S1 and S2 is important for understanding the overall forces acting on an object. This information can be used to calculate the net force and determine the object's acceleration or movement.

3. How can I find the forces in S1 and S2?

The forces in S1 and S2 can be found using vector addition. This involves breaking down the forces into their horizontal and vertical components and then adding them together using the Pythagorean theorem.

4. What are some common examples of forces in S1 and S2?

Some common examples of forces in S1 and S2 include tension in a rope, weight of an object, and normal force exerted by a surface. These forces can also be present in more complex systems, such as in projectile motion or circular motion.

5. How do I know if my calculations for forces in S1 and S2 are correct?

You can check the accuracy of your calculations by ensuring that the net force in each direction (horizontal and vertical) is equal to the sum of all the individual forces in that direction. Additionally, you can compare your results to known values or use real-world experiments to validate your calculations.