Need to identify mysterious element

• Thread starter jacker2011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of both dichloride (XCl2) and tetrachloride (XCl4) by element X. When 10.0g of XCl2 is treated with excess, 12.55g of XCl4 is formed. The atomic mass of X is calculated using the equation (10/x+71) = (12.55/x+142). The excess is identified as Cl2, and the final equation is simplified to x+71 = x+142.
jacker2011

Homework Statement

An element X forms both a dicholride( XCl2) and tetrachloride(XCl4). Treatment of 10.0g of XCl2 with excess forms 12.55g of XCl4. Calculate Atomic Mass of X and Identify X

Homework Equations

no equation needed...but urgent

The Attempt at a Solution

i try subtracting 12.55g of XCL4 with 10.0g of 10.0g of XCL2
and i am lost at what is the EXCESS, is that CL2 ?

if it is...then i have 2.55g/ 71g CL2 = 0.359mole of CL2. basically i am lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you get the equation

[tex] \frac{10}{x+71}=\frac{12.55}{x+142} [/tex] ?

thank you, i never realize i just have to use cross multiply. i see ur work as x+CL2(71) = x+Cl4(142)

1. What is a mysterious element?

A mysterious element is a chemical element that has not yet been identified or discovered. It may exhibit unique properties or behavior that cannot be explained by known elements.

2. How do scientists identify mysterious elements?

Scientists use a variety of methods to identify mysterious elements, such as spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and X-ray crystallography. These techniques allow scientists to analyze the physical and chemical properties of the element and compare them to known elements.

3. Why is it important to identify mysterious elements?

Identifying mysterious elements is important for advancing our understanding of the natural world and the elements that make up our universe. It can also lead to the development of new technologies and materials.

4. How long does it take to identify a mysterious element?

The time it takes to identify a mysterious element can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the element and the available resources for research. It can take anywhere from a few months to several years.

5. Can a mysterious element be a threat to human health?

It is possible for a mysterious element to present a threat to human health, especially if it is toxic or radioactive. This is why it is important for scientists to identify and understand these elements in order to properly handle and mitigate any potential risks.