Need to test Tactile user-experience of different Materials

In summary, the person is looking for materials to make a project and is looking for a variety of textures, friction, and tactility. They contacted a librarian who suggested materials that are similar to those used for book covers.
ScrollPortals
I'm having someone make something for me. I wanted to know the best way I could test a whole bunch of different materials with different friction, texture and tactility.
Where can I get a load of samples to test? I may have to reach out to different sources and purchase the different materials.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
ScrollPortals said:
I'm having someone make something for me. I wanted to know the best way I could test a whole bunch of different materials with different friction, texture and tactility.
Where can I get a load of samples to test? I may have to reach out to different sources and purchase the different materials.
What kind of materials? Textiles? Plastics? Woods? Rubber-like materials? etc...

Plastic I think. Materials close to that of a macbook pro laptop cover, but maybe a little bit more flexible.
A Plastic-Rubbery type substance. 90% plastic 10% rubbery if that helps make anything more clear.

For my final product, I basically need rounded corner rectangles of this stuff, maybe 8 x 11 inches. Nothing too complex. It's a little hipster project.

ScrollPortals said:
Plastic I think. Materials close to that of a macbook pro laptop cover, but maybe a little bit more flexible.
A Plastic-Rubbery type substance. 90% plastic 10% rubbery if that helps make anything more clear.

For my final product, I basically need rounded corner rectangles of this stuff, maybe 8 x 11 inches. Nothing too complex. It's a little hipster project.
Where are you located physically? If you are on the west coast of the USA, you could stop by your local Tap Plastics store to browse all of the materials ans textures that they have...

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic?gclid=CNLfzsyj3tECFdWNfgodC_cCEg

Fun store :smile:

I'm on the east coast. I contacted them. They told me to ask a librarian what they use for book covers. They didn't understand that I was trying to do something different.

Related to Need to test Tactile user-experience of different Materials

1. What is the purpose of testing tactile user-experience of different materials?

The purpose of testing tactile user-experience is to understand how different materials feel to the touch and how users interact with them. This can help in designing products that are more user-friendly and improve the overall user experience.

2. What are the common methods used to test tactile user-experience?

The common methods used to test tactile user-experience include sensory evaluation, user testing, and tactile material analysis. Sensory evaluation involves having a group of individuals rate the materials based on their tactile experience. User testing involves observing and recording how users interact with the materials. Tactile material analysis uses specialized equipment to measure the physical properties of materials.

3. How do you select which materials to test for tactile user-experience?

The selection of materials to test for tactile user-experience depends on the specific product or application being designed. It is important to consider the intended use of the product, the target audience, and the desired tactile qualities. Materials with a variety of textures, temperatures, and weights should be included in the testing to provide a comprehensive evaluation.

4. What factors should be considered when conducting tactile user-experience testing?

When conducting tactile user-experience testing, it is important to consider factors such as the environment, lighting, and temperature. The testing environment should be free from distractions and provide consistent conditions for all participants. Lighting can affect how materials appear and temperature can impact how they feel to the touch, so these factors should be controlled during testing.

5. How can the results of tactile user-experience testing be used in product design?

The results of tactile user-experience testing can provide valuable insights for product design. By understanding how users interact with different materials, designers can make informed decisions on which materials to use and how to incorporate them into the product. This can ultimately lead to a better user experience and satisfaction with the product.