Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to test Tactile user-experience of different Materials

1. Jan 25, 2017 #1
    I'm having someone make something for me. I wanted to know the best way I could test a whole bunch of different materials with different friction, texture and tactility.
    Where can I get a load of samples to test? I may have to reach out to different sources and purchase the different materials.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What kind of materials? Textiles? Plastics? Woods? Rubber-like materials? etc...

4. Jan 25, 2017 #3
    Plastic I think. Materials close to that of a macbook pro laptop cover, but maybe a little bit more flexible.
    A Plastic-Rubbery type substance. 90% plastic 10% rubbery if that helps make anything more clear.

For my final product, I basically need rounded corner rectangles of this stuff, maybe 8 x 11 inches. Nothing too complex. It's a little hipster project.

5. Jan 25, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Where are you located physically? If you are on the west coast of the USA, you could stop by your local Tap Plastics store to browse all of the materials ans textures that they have...

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic?gclid=CNLfzsyj3tECFdWNfgodC_cCEg

Fun store :smile:

6. Jan 26, 2017 #5
    I'm on the east coast. I contacted them. They told me to ask a librarian what they use for book covers. They didn't understand that I was trying to do something different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted