Negative sign in coulomb's law/centripetal motion question

In summary, Coulomb's Law does not include the negative sign for charges. The magnitude of the force is given by the equation Fc=mev2/R and the period can be found using the equation T=2pi*r/v. When calculating the period for an electron rotating around a proton at a distance R, the negative sign of the charge -e should not be included. Instead, use the rule that like charges repel and opposites attract to determine the direction of the force.
gsingh2011

Homework Statement

I had a question in my physics class today that was relatively easy but what I was confused about was a misplaced negative sign. "An electron is rotating around a proton at a distance R. The mass of the electron is me and the charge is -e. Find the period."

Homework Equations

Fc=mev2/R
FE=kq1q2/R2
T=2pi*r/v

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution was calculated equating the two equations given above. The problem arises when I plug in -e and +e for the charges. This leaves one side of the equation negative, which results in a negative period. How does the negative sign go away? Do I not include the sign for charges?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you do not include the negative sign of charges in Coulomb's Law for the force between two charges. Coulomb's Law gives the magnitude of the force. If you need to know the direction of the force, use the rule that like charges repel and opposites attract.

What is the negative sign in Coulomb's law?

The negative sign in Coulomb's law represents the attractive or repulsive nature of the force between two charged particles. If the sign is negative, it means that the force is attractive, pulling the particles towards each other. A positive sign indicates a repulsive force, pushing the particles away from each other.

Why is the negative sign in Coulomb's law important?

The negative sign in Coulomb's law is important because it helps us determine the direction of the force between two charged particles. Without the negative sign, we would not know whether the force is attractive or repulsive. It also helps us understand the behavior of charged particles and how they interact with each other.

How does the negative sign affect the magnitude of the force in Coulomb's law?

The negative sign does not affect the magnitude of the force in Coulomb's law. The magnitude of the force is determined by the product of the two charges and the distance between them, regardless of the sign. However, the negative sign does affect the direction of the force.

What is the negative sign in centripetal motion?

In centripetal motion, the negative sign represents the inward direction of the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. This force is known as the centripetal force, and it is always directed towards the center of the circle. The negative sign indicates that the force is directed in the opposite direction of the object's motion.

How is the negative sign used in centripetal motion calculations?

The negative sign is used in centripetal motion calculations to indicate the direction of the centripetal force. It is also used to ensure that the force is subtracted from the other forces acting on the object in order to determine the net force. The negative sign is also used to indicate the direction of the velocity vector in circular motion equations.