1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negative sign in coulomb's law/centripetal motion question

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I had a question in my physics class today that was relatively easy but what I was confused about was a misplaced negative sign. "An electron is rotating around a proton at a distance R. The mass of the electron is me and the charge is -e. Find the period."

2. Relevant equations
    Fc=mev2/R
    FE=kq1q2/R2
    T=2pi*r/v

3. The attempt at a solution
    The solution was calculated equating the two equations given above. The problem arises when I plug in -e and +e for the charges. This leaves one side of the equation negative, which results in a negative period. How does the negative sign go away? Do I not include the sign for charges?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you do not include the negative sign of charges in Coulomb's Law for the force between two charges. Coulomb's Law gives the magnitude of the force. If you need to know the direction of the force, use the rule that like charges repel and opposites attract.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook