Sign of the Faraday-Lenz equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Guillem_dlc
Messages
188
Reaction score
17

Homework Statement


Hello, good afternoon,
I have a question that's coming up when I'm doing electromagnetic induction exercises. In some exercises they ask me to determine the electromotive force (iee), and when they do the exercise resolution they do it with absolute value. In other exercises, however, they put the negative sign of the Faraday-Lenz equation.
If someone would help me, I'd appreciate it.

Homework Equations


Faraday-Lenz equation

The Attempt at a Solution


The sign of the equation
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It actually depends on the numerical.

In general, some professors, like Ramamurti Shankar (see below) advises to use the absolute value, and finally mention the direction.

Otherwise it'll be difficult to comment without looking at the numerical.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Guillem_dlc