Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nervenmassig What does this word mean?

1. Aug 13, 2006 #1
    "nervenmassig" What does this word mean?

"nervenmassig"

What does this word mean? what language is it?

it has 2 dots on top of the letter "a"

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

mässig - is likely German, but could be Swedish.

In German it means moderate. What is the context?

nerven has to do with the nerves, so possibly, 'nervenmässig' means 'nerve calming'. Does this refer to medication for anxiety?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  4. Aug 14, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the 'moderate' meaning applies only in a musical context. In general, it would more likely mean something like 'large', 'heavy', 'lots of', 'much'...

5. Aug 14, 2006 #4

Astronuc

That would apply to 'maßig' (massive) without the umlaut a, ä, as mentioned in OP "it has 2 dots on top of the letter "a"".

6. Aug 14, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Point taken.

7. Aug 14, 2006 #6
    it means "nervous," but i'm not sure what language it is.

8. Aug 14, 2006 #7
    Astronuc hit it on the head straight away then

9. Aug 14, 2006 #8

Astronuc

It's German (Deutsch), but 'nervous' is usually 'nervös', and anxious would be 'ängstlich, bange, unruhig', and worrisome is 'beunruhigend, besorgniserregend'.

It would help to have the context. Also, if one googles "nervenmäßig" one will find many German websites, but the context varies.

I was leaning toward 'anesthetic' or 'tranquilizing' as the definition.

Further elaboration - the German adjectival suffix '-mäßig' means '-like', so it would appear that 'nervenmäßig' would mean 'nervous', but I don't know how common this usage is as compared to 'nervös', or other synonyms.

A friend for whom German is a third language has indicated that 'nervenmäßig' or perhaps being used as a noun 'Nervenmäßig' could mean simply 'nerves', as in 'one is being treated for nerves', which is a reference to being nervous/anxious/worried rather than a reference to the physiological structure. In other words, it's German vernacular. This is a guess on my part without knowing the context.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?