What is the unknown charge if the net electrostatic force on particle 1 is zero?

In summary, using the Coulomb Force equation, q2 = (F)(r2) / (k)(q1), where F is the net force acting on particle 1 by particle 2, r2 is the distance from particle 1 to particle 2, and k is the Coulomb constant. By plugging in the given values and solving algebraically, the charge of particle 2 is calculated to be 7.49E-16 C. However, to counteract the forces of particle 4, particle 2 must have a negative charge. The error in the calculation was due to using the wrong distance for r2.
Monkey_Man08
1. The problem statement: In the figure four particles form a square with edge length a = 2.44 × 10-2 m. The charges are q1 = q4 = 1.06 × 10-15 C and q2 = q3 = q. What is q if the net electrostatic force on particle 1 is zero?
All variables and given/known data: The given variable are in the statement, but I have calculated and checked some other important variables.
  • Net force acting on particle 1 by particle 4 is 8.45E-18 N.
  • The X component of the force acting on particle 1 by particle 2 is negative 6.00E-18 N.
  • Distance from particle 1 to particle 4 is 0.034507 m.

Homework Equations

: Coulomb Force:
11bfec934e963740d4bed02c2062a4e7.png
, where k = 8.99E9[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I'm using the above equation to solve for q2, I used algebra to set it up as q2 = (F)(r2) / (k)(q1). Once I plugged the numbers I have (6.00E-18)(1.19E-3) / (8.99E9)(1.06E-15). Once I plug all that in the calculator, I'm left with 7.49E-16 C. But supposedly that is the wrong answer. I've checked my math enough to know all the information above "The attempt at a solution" portion is correct, so the problem must lie within this final step... I think.

Attachments

• Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that when inputting my final answer I put in negative 7.49E-16 C, because in order for particle 2 and 3 to counteract the forces of particle 4, they must have a negative charge.

I was using the wrong distance for r in my final calculation. All is solved.

1. What is Net Electrostatic Force?

Net electrostatic force refers to the overall or total force exerted between two electrically charged objects. It is the vector sum of all the individual electrostatic forces between the charges.

2. How is Net Electrostatic Force calculated?

The net electrostatic force can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors can affect the Net Electrostatic Force?

The net electrostatic force can be affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium between the charges. Additionally, the presence of other charged objects in the vicinity can also influence the net force.

4. What is the difference between Net Electrostatic Force and Net Coulomb Force?

Net electrostatic force and net Coulomb force are essentially the same thing, both referring to the total force between two charged objects. However, the term "Coulomb" is often used to specifically refer to the unit of charge, while "electrostatic" is a broader term that encompasses all types of electrically charged forces.

5. Can Net Electrostatic Force be repulsive?

Yes, the net electrostatic force between two objects can be either attractive or repulsive. If the charges on the objects have the same sign, the net force will be repulsive, while opposite charges will result in an attractive net force.