Net force, tension, acceleration, and magnitude

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a string and pulled up a frictionless incline with an applied force. The tension in the string is 100N and the angle of the incline is 30°. The lower block has a mass of 10kg and the upper block has a mass of 5kg. The answers to the questions are as follows: 1) The component, parallel to the incline, of the net force on the lower block is 51N. 2) The acceleration of the lower block is 5.1m/s^2. 3) The component, parallel to the incline, of the net force on the upper block is 25.5N.
JokerPhillips

Homework Statement

Two blocks, of masses m1 = 10kg and m2 = 5kg respectively are connected by a massless unstretchable string and are pulled by an applied force Fa, up a frictionless incline which makes an angle of θ=30° with the horizontal. The tension in the string which connects the two blocks is T = 100N. In the figure, note carefully that the m1 = 10kg block is lower on the incline.

Note: This question is in order to study for an upcoming exam. I've posted the answers to each question as well. I'm not sure on this one question how to do it, and would like an explanation. Would greatly help me with studying for my exam coming up!

1.) What is the component, parallel to the incline, of the net force on the block of mass m1 = 10kg? 51N

2.) What is the acceleration of the block of mass m1=10kg? 5.1m/s^2

3.) What is the component, parallel to the incline, of the net force on the block of mass m2=5kg? 25.5N

4.) What is the magnitude of the applied force Fa? 150N

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally I created a free-body diagram for both the masses. Afterwards I got the following:

1.) T = m1gω
100N = 10kg(9.8)ω
1.02(50)N = ω

Note: I know that this is wrong, and I'll be editing this throughout the day as I work on this question trying to figure out how to do this. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what ω is supposed to represent. In order for us to better assist, please indicate what yoour FBD attempts were. Apply Newton 2 along the incline to the FBD, after identifying all forces acting parallel to the incline , including the component of the weight acting parallel to the incline.

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force that acts on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It is calculated by adding or subtracting the individual forces based on their direction and magnitude.

2. How is tension defined in physics?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled at both ends. It is a pulling force that is equal in magnitude at both ends of the string, and it always acts along the length of the string.

3. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. If an object experiences a net force, it will accelerate in the direction of the force. The greater the net force, the greater the acceleration of the object.

4. What is the difference between magnitude and net force?

Magnitude refers to the size or amount of a force, while net force takes into account the direction and magnitude of all the individual forces acting on an object. Net force can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the balance of forces on an object.

5. How can net force and acceleration be related?

According to Newton's second law, the net force on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration of the object. It also means that if the net force is zero, the object will not accelerate.