1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net ionic equations (NaOH; HCl; H2O)

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1

I completed a Grade 12 experiment and now I am doing some calculations about it but I am confused.

Here is the question: "Write the net ionic equation for each reaction, and note the value of (triangle sign) H for each reaction. e.g. H+(aq) + OH-(aq) --> H2O(l)
    (triangle)H2 = -45 kJ/mol HaOH

I had three reactions.
    1. Heat of dissolution of NaOH; 200 mL of labelled water + 5.5 g of crystal NaOH

2. Heat of reaction between aqueous NaOH and aqueous HCl; 100 mL of 1.0 mol/L HCl + 100 mL of 1.0 mol/L NaOH

3. Heat of reaction between solid NaOH and aqueous HCl; 200 mL of 1.0 mol/L HCl + 5.5g of crystal NaOH

These were the instructions also given: "Since all the solutions are dilute, then the density of each solution can be assumed to be 1.00 g/mL. So, 100 mL has a mass of 100 g."

So for the first reaction, would the net ionic equation be something like this:
    1. 200 g H2O(l) + 5.5 g NaOH(s) --> I don't know what the product would be?
    2. 100 g HCl(aq) + 100 g NaOH(aq) --> NaCl + H2O?
    3. 200 g of HCl(aq) + 5.5 g NaOH(s) --> NaCl + H2O?

Any help would really be appreciated!:confused:
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?