How Does Hess's Law Apply to Calculating ΔH in Neutralization Reactions?

• Thread starter Rapier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, using Hess's Law and net ionic equations, we can determine the enthalpy change for a reaction by combining the enthalpy changes of other related reactions. In this case, the enthalpy change for the reaction HCl + NH4OH → NH4Cl + H20 was found to be 60.1 kJ/mol.
Rapier

Homework Statement

All solutions are (aq).

In the reaction: HCl + NaOH → NaCl + H2O, ΔH = 60.4 kJ/mol
In the reaction: CH3COOH + NaOH → CH3COONa + H20, ΔH = 51.9 kJ/mol
In the reaction: CH3COOH + NH4OH → NH4CH3COO + H20, ΔH = 51.6 kJ/mol
In the reaction: HCl + NH4OH → NH4Cl + H20, determine ΔH

Homework Equations

Hess's Law: ΔH(reaction) = ƩΔH(products) - ƩΔH(reactants)
ΔH1 = ΔH(NaCl) + ΔH(H2O) - ΔH(HCl) - ΔH(NaOH)
ΔH2 = ΔH(CH3COONa) + ΔH(H2O) - ΔH(CH3COOH) - ΔH(NaOH)
ΔH3 = ΔH(NH4CH3COO) + ΔH(H2O) - ΔH(CH3COOH) - ΔH(NH4OH)
ΔH4 = ΔH(NH4Cl) + ΔH(H2O) - ΔH(HCl) - ΔH(NH4OH)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never quite understood how this works. All of our previous examples were like 2X + Y = 2B, and had a variation of all three variable in each equation. I think I understand it, and start the problem and 30 seconds later realize I don't understand it at all. I don't see how to make the connection between the first three reactions and the fourth. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently first equation must be taken as it is - that's the only way of having HCl on the left. It also looks like you should add third equation to the first - this way you will have both HCl and NH4OH on the left. Now you have to think how to use the third equation to get rid of the things you don't need.

Could be writing them all as net ionic will help.

Please remember you can subtract the reaction as well, you don't have to only add them.

Hmmmm. I think I get it...but I've said that before. :)

ΔH1-ΔH2+ΔH3 (Reactants): H + Cl + Na + OH - CH3CO - OH - Na - OH + CH3CO + OH + NH4 + OH
ΔH1-ΔH2+ΔH3 (Reactants): H + Cl + NH4 + OH

ΔH1-ΔH2+ΔH3 (Products): Na + Cl + 2H + O - CH3COO - Na - 2H - O + NH4 + CH3COO + 2N + O
ΔH1-ΔH2+ΔH3 (Products): NH4 + Cl + 2H + O

HCl + NH4OH → NH4Cl + H20

Which proves that ΔH1-ΔH2+ΔH3 = ΔH4, so
ΔH4 = 60.4 kJ/mol - 51.9 kJ/mol + 51.6 kJ/mol
ΔH4 = 60.1 kJ/mol

I looked it up and my results seems to be about 8 kJ/mol higher than it should, but we did this in lab.

8 kJ/mol sounds like a reasonable experimental error to me :wink:

Hi there! The concept of Hess's Law can be a bit tricky to understand at first, but it is an important one in thermodynamics. Let's break it down step by step to see how it applies to this problem.

First, let's review the law itself: ΔH(reaction) = ƩΔH(products) - ƩΔH(reactants). This means that the change in enthalpy for a reaction is equal to the sum of the enthalpies of the products minus the sum of the enthalpies of the reactants.

Now, let's look at the first three reactions given:

1) HCl + NaOH → NaCl + H2O, ΔH = 60.4 kJ/mol
2) CH3COOH + NaOH → CH3COONa + H20, ΔH = 51.9 kJ/mol
3) CH3COOH + NH4OH → NH4CH3COO + H20, ΔH = 51.6 kJ/mol

We can see that all three reactions involve the formation of a salt and water. This means we can use these reactions to help us determine the enthalpy of the fourth reaction:

4) HCl + NH4OH → NH4Cl + H20

To do this, we will use the equations you listed, ΔH1, ΔH2, and ΔH3, to calculate the enthalpies of the products and reactants in reaction 4. Let's start with the products:

ΔH(NH4Cl) = ΔH1 = 60.4 kJ/mol
ΔH(H2O) = ΔH2 + ΔH3 = (51.9 + 51.6) kJ/mol = 103.5 kJ/mol

Now, let's look at the reactants:

ΔH(HCl) = ΔH1 = 60.4 kJ/mol
ΔH(NH4OH) = ΔH3 = 51.6 kJ/mol

Plugging these values into the equation for Hess's Law, we get:

ΔH(reaction) = ƩΔH(products) - ƩΔH(reactants)
ΔH(reaction) = (60.4 + 103.5) kJ/mol - (60.4 + 51

Related to How Does Hess's Law Apply to Calculating ΔH in Neutralization Reactions?

What is the "Molar Heat of Neutralisation"?

The molar heat of neutralisation is the amount of heat released or absorbed when one mole of an acid and one mole of a base react to form one mole of water and a salt. It is a measure of the strength of the acid-base reaction and is usually expressed in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

How is the "Molar Heat of Neutralisation" measured?

The molar heat of neutralisation can be measured using a calorimeter. The reactants, an acid and a base, are mixed in the calorimeter and the change in temperature is recorded. The heat released or absorbed can then be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat released or absorbed, m is the mass of the solution, c is the specific heat capacity of the solution, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors can affect the "Molar Heat of Neutralisation"?

The molar heat of neutralisation can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the acid and base, the concentration of the reactants, and the temperature of the reaction. Stronger acids and bases will have a higher molar heat of neutralisation, while dilute solutions will have a lower molar heat of neutralisation. Additionally, a higher temperature will result in a higher molar heat of neutralisation due to the increased kinetic energy of the molecules.

What is the significance of the "Molar Heat of Neutralisation" in chemistry?

The molar heat of neutralisation is an important concept in chemistry as it helps to determine the energy changes in acid-base reactions. It can also be used to identify the strength of an acid or base, as strong acids and bases will have a higher molar heat of neutralisation. Additionally, the molar heat of neutralisation can be used to calculate the enthalpy change of a reaction, which is a measure of the energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

Can the "Molar Heat of Neutralisation" be negative?

Yes, the molar heat of neutralisation can be negative. This occurs when the reaction absorbs heat instead of releasing it. This is often seen in reactions between a weak acid and a strong base, where the products have a lower energy than the reactants. A negative molar heat of neutralisation is also known as an endothermic reaction.