Net resistance of 100, 250 and 400 ohm resistors in parallel

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter kllindsey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuits Parallel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
kllindsey
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Question: Determine the net resistance of 100 ohms, 250 ohms and 400 ohms connected in a parallel.

I have no clue how to figure this out. I have read and reread the section in my book and it is not helping. Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1/Rp = 1/100 + 1/250 + 1/400

I know the answer is:

1/Rp = 60 + 24 + 15/6000 ohms
Rp = 6000 ohms/99 = 61 ohms

I just have no clue where these numbers are coming from!
 
Well I haven't a clue how you got from your formula to your second line.

I agree that your answer of 61 is close enough though.

Can you not do the arithemetic involved in your first line?
 
Your answer and the books answer are the same. They just multiply the fractions so there is a common denominator (However odd that denominator is)