Netforce of spring, hookes law. help

In summary, the conversation discusses using an "extreme" pogo stick with a spring that has an uncompressed length of 46 cm and a force constant of 1.4 x 10^4 N/m. A 60 kg enthusiast jumps on the pogo stick, compressing the spring to 5.0 cm. The conversation continues with calculating the net upward force on the person at the moment the spring reaches its greatest compression and her upward acceleration in m/s^2 and gs at that moment. After discussion and clarification, the correct answers are found to be 5100 N for net upward force and 85 m/s^2 and 8.7 gs for upward acceleration.
jim gerth

Homework Statement

An "extreme" pogo stick utilizies a spring whose uncompressed length is 46 cm and whose force constant is 1.4 x 10^4 N/m (14000). A 60 kg enthusiast is jumping on the pogo stick, compressing the spring to a length of only 5.0 cm at the bottom of her jump, Calculate; a) The net upward force on her at the moment the spring reaches its greatest compression and b) her upward acceleration in m/s^2 and gs at that moment.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Homework Equations

F=-kx F=ma w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i started with multiplying the force constant and difference of distance . 14000 x (0.46 - 0.05) = 5740 then i subtracted the weight which is (60)(9.8)= 588 which gave me an answer of 5152. The answer in the book says 5100. I know with having 2 sig figs you could say it was 5100 but i am not sure if i went about this right.. and also don't know where to go with b especially if i did not get a correct.??

thanks everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Having 2 significant figures with your final result does NOT give 5100. It gives 5200.

##
\vec{F}_{net} = \vec{F}_{spring} + \vec{F}_{person}
##
Both of which you stated the formulas for.
If you round both of your results with respect to the amount of significant figures before subtracting, you get 5100 ( after significant figures are applied to this as well, beforehand it is 5110)
That's the only thing "wrong" I see.

Your analysis was correct, however. What are your thoughts on the second portion (the acceleration)?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and clarification, Yeah sorry , i meant to say 5200.. and i have no idea how to approach the acceleration , we have yet to learn that. I've been checking everywhere on how to approach it but i don't even know where to start lol -____- answers in the back is 85 m/s^2 and 8.7 gs. i wish i could say my answers were even close .

lol i thought it was more than just that but nvm i got it . Thanks again

Hello,

First of all, great job on starting with the Hooke's Law equation and using the correct units for the force constant and distance.

For part a), you did the calculation correctly, but there is a slight error in your units. The force constant is in N/m, so the unit for the distance should be in meters as well. This will give you a net upward force of 5100 N, which is the same as the book's answer.

For part b), you can use the equation F=ma to find the acceleration, since you already have the net force. Just plug in the values for the force (5100 N) and the mass (60 kg) and solve for acceleration. Then, convert the answer to m/s^2 and gs using the appropriate conversion factors.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is the Netforce of a Spring?

The Netforce of a spring is the sum of all the forces acting on the spring. This includes the force applied to the spring, as well as any other external forces, such as gravity or friction.

2. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. In other words, the more the spring is stretched or compressed, the greater the force it exerts.

3. How do you calculate the Netforce of a Spring?

The Netforce of a spring can be calculated using the equation F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. What is the significance of the spring constant in Hooke's Law?

The spring constant, denoted by k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, while a lower spring constant means a more flexible spring.

5. How is Hooke's Law used in real-life applications?

Hooke's Law is used in various real-life applications, such as in the design of springs for mechanical devices, as well as in the field of engineering and construction. It is also used in the study of materials and their elastic properties. Additionally, Hooke's Law is the basis for many scientific experiments and demonstrations involving springs.