Network Remote Connector & Pinger

• Thread starter dahoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, the Network Remote Connector & Pinger is a tool for connecting and monitoring remote devices on a network. It allows for easy management and troubleshooting of devices from a central location. The Pinger feature helps to ensure connectivity and identify any network issues. It is a useful tool for businesses and organizations with multiple devices and remote locations.
dahoa
I have an alarm system in separate building. When the smoke detector detects smoke or fire.. the mother unit will ring my cell and text me... I need a device where it constantly sends ping to the remote location and the remote location pings my device every 15 seconds.. this is to ensure there is always open communication between the remote site and me.. and then when the smoke detector and alarm triggers.. I want it to send the signal directly to my device... what kind of equipment must I look for? Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
dahoa said:
I have an alarm system in separate building. When the smoke detector detects smoke or fire.. the mother unit will ring my cell and text me... I need a device where it constantly sends ping to the remote location and the remote location pings my device every 15 seconds.. this is to ensure there is always open communication between the remote site and me.. and then when the smoke detector and alarm triggers.. I want it to send the signal directly to my device... what kind of equipment must I look for? Thank you.
You don't need to do both. If you ping a device from your PC or phone and it responds, you don't need to have it ping you since it just communicated with you. It's very easy to do this on a Windows PC so I assume it's probably easy to write an Android or Apple app to do the same.

Likes jedishrfu
Last edited:
There are so many ways things can fail that it would impossible to protect against all of them.

I am reminded of a Boston court that was about to announce a major decision. They checked and rechecked their communication lines and had a prepared for each possible decision. Fifteen minutes before the announcement, unbeknownst to them, a backhoe outside cut all communication lines to the courthouse rendering their plans null and void.

It seems a security monitoring company could handle this eventuality and notify you and emergency services when communication breaks down. Otherwise using a web server with a web app could do it. That’s why I mentioned the Canary. It has environment, motion, ... and I think would notify you if a disconnect occurred as well as capturing video of the room.

jedishrfu said:
There are so many ways things can fail that it would impossible to protect against all of them.

I am reminded of a Boston court that was about to announce a major decision. They checked and rechecked their communication lines and had a prepared for each possible decision. Fifteen minutes before the announcement, unbeknownst to them, a backhoe outside cut all communication lines to the courthouse rendering their plans null and void.

It seems a security monitoring company could handle this eventuality and notify you and emergency services when communication breaks down. Otherwise using a web server with a web app could do it. That’s why I mentioned the Canary. It has environment, motion, ... and I think would notify you if a disconnect occurred as well as capturing video of the room.

Problem with the canary is you can't connect the Honeywell fire relay output to it (Canary has no relay input)... it's independent of the Honeywell and I already have good cctv network.. just want something to connect network (with constant ping update) to the remote location with it accepting relay input of 0 or 1 (disconnected or connected). that's all.. I don't want to put laptop in the remote location.. just a device for this purpose I described.

Okay, here’s another option

https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/control-panel/fire-burglary/413665.html

Other than that, you might need a custom solution perhaps with a raspberry pi computer and nodejs web application but you still need an app on your phone for the heartbeat ping.

Likes dahoa
jedishrfu said:
Okay, here’s another option

https://www.security.honeywell.com/hsc/products/intruder-detection-systems/control-panel/fire-burglary/413665.html

Other than that, you might need a custom solution perhaps with a raspberry pi computer and nodejs web application but you still need an app on your phone for the heartbeat ping.

I already bought a Honeywell unit with 80 zones alarm and 20 smoke detector already installed.. I just need network alarm reporting.. not GSM which I already have.. GSM has weakness in that if suddenly there is no cellular coverage.. then it can't report it to my cell whereas network reporting with constant ping can make me be connected with it always. In the even the ping fails.. I can use my direct video feed to look at the lcd panel.. and if this fails.. then I'll go to the remote building which is just a mile away.

Why not contact the vendor who sold it to you then? I’m sure they have other folks with the same problem.

jedishrfu said:
Why not contact the vendor who sold it to you then? I’m sure they have other folks with the same problem.

They didn't have experience with remote management.. all of their customers have personnel besides the panel. They didn't even know how to connect the Output Relay to a GSM dialer asking me what is a GSM dialer... I just need a network notifier.. what is the proper term for this so I can google the terms?

Try searching on "security push notifications".

This is what I found:

https://community.smartthings.com/t...-get-notified-if-devices-stop-reporting/41141

Apparently, its code that you run that monitors things. A quick look though and its quite extensive so maybe not what you're looking for.

My guess is you could setup a web server at your center to be pinged and another web server+app to ping it and notify you by cell phone when it goes offline. You wouldn't want your cellphone to do this due to chewing up your bandwidth and exceeding your data limits.

Here's a nodejs solutin of sorts:

https://github.hubspot.com/offline/docs/welcome/

Likes dahoa

1. What is a Network Remote Connector & Pinger?

A Network Remote Connector & Pinger is a tool used to remotely connect to and monitor network devices and connections. It allows for efficient troubleshooting and maintenance of networks.

2. How does a Network Remote Connector & Pinger work?

A Network Remote Connector & Pinger sends out signals, known as pings, to network devices to check for connectivity. It also allows for remote access to these devices for configuration and troubleshooting purposes.

3. What are the benefits of using a Network Remote Connector & Pinger?

Using a Network Remote Connector & Pinger can save time and resources by allowing for remote troubleshooting and management of network devices. It also provides real-time monitoring of network connections, allowing for quick detection and resolution of issues.

4. Can a Network Remote Connector & Pinger be used for any type of network?

Yes, a Network Remote Connector & Pinger can be used for any type of network, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and virtual private networks (VPNs).

5. Is a Network Remote Connector & Pinger difficult to set up and use?

No, most Network Remote Connector & Pinger tools have user-friendly interfaces and are designed to be easy to set up and use. Some may require some technical knowledge, but overall, they are designed to be user-friendly for network administrators and technicians.