Liming Lakes: A Solution for Acidification?

In summary, liming with limestone (CaCO3) can neutralize acidified lakes caused by acid rain. To completely neutralize a 3.8e9 L lake with a pH of 5.5, approximately 610 kg of CaCO3 is needed. However, this calculation may not take into account factors such as solubility, water autodissociation, and buffering effects of carbonic acid. Further analysis may be needed to determine the most accurate amount of CaCO3 needed for neutralization. Additionally, adding CaCO3 to lakes is generally considered safe and can improve the health of the lake's ecosystem.
StarChem
TL;DR Summary
Neutralizing acidified lakes
Lakes that have been acidified by acid rain can be neutralized
by liming, the addition of limestone (CaCO3). How much
limestone in kilograms is required to completely neutralize
a 3.8e9 L lake with a pH of 5.5? (question credited to Introductory Chemistry Essentials book)
I calculated it and found that is approximately 610Kg needed of CaCO3 to bring the lake pH to a neutral level.

Is my calculation right 1st :)?

Then if this is right, 610kg of CaCO3 is not that much in a matter of cost or weight to help the bio-life of the lake. I'm wondering if we are applying actually this solution? As far as I know, there is no harm to add CaCO3 to water lakes, water is even drinkable with dissolved CaCO3 ions to some extent.

Cheers

Chemistry news on Phys.org
610 or 601kg?

Not that it is a right answer, but at least let's make sure what we deal with. 601 kg is what I get using highly simplified approach (so simplified, it is actually completely wrong - the only thing that is correct is a stoichiometry).

Yes I used stochiometry and 2 significant figures as the result on the calculator was 608kg.

Perhaps some discrepancy in molar masses used, or you rounded intermediate results.

Trick is, this is incorrect. This is not a simple stoichiometric neutralization. What will happen is that the salt will dissolve and carbonate ions will get protonated, then some will get protonated further into carbonic acid.

To find out how much calcium carbonate needs to be added one should take into account its solubility, water autodissociation and buffering effects of the carbonic acid/hydrogen carbonate ion. Probably further analysis will show of these can be safely ignored - but it is not obvious to tell which ones without doing at least some initial estimates (at pH 7 amount of CO32- is negligible, so Ksp is probably not needed). This is actually quite a nice problem, but IMHO a little bit beyond introductory chemistry.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, jim mcnamara and berkeman
I have re-done this problem, and indeed your "most simplified" :smile: is more accurate:
1632295023034.png

I also found this old magazine article about liming lakes:
1632295731954.png
Cheers!

1. How do acidified lakes form?

Acidified lakes form when acidic substances, such as sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides, are released into the atmosphere and then deposited onto the surface of lakes through rain, snow, or dry deposition.

2. What are the effects of acidified lakes on the environment?

Acidified lakes can have detrimental effects on aquatic life, as well as the surrounding ecosystem. It can lead to the decline of fish populations, changes in plant growth, and a decrease in biodiversity.

3. How can we neutralize acidified lakes?

There are several methods for neutralizing acidified lakes, including liming (adding a substance like limestone to the lake), adding alkaline materials, and reducing the amount of acidic pollutants being released into the atmosphere.

4. What are the potential challenges in neutralizing acidified lakes?

One of the main challenges in neutralizing acidified lakes is finding a long-term solution. It can also be costly and time-consuming to implement large-scale remediation efforts. Additionally, different lakes may require different methods of neutralization depending on their unique characteristics.

5. Can acidified lakes be restored to their original state?

In some cases, acidified lakes can be restored to their original state through effective remediation efforts. However, the extent of restoration depends on the severity of acidification and the success of the chosen method of neutralization. In some cases, the damage may be irreversible.