Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutrinos-Antineutrinos in the universe

Tags:
  1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    Hello everybody, I am a first year physics student and I have a question about neutrinos and antineutrinos.

In a beta minus decay we will get an antineutrino, so I assume that Earth 'produces' more antineutrinos. Does it?

However from a beta plus we get neutrinos and positrons. So does that mean that we had more protons in the begining that started becoming neutrons? Do the neutrinos that we find now, were mostly created after the big bang?

Do neutrino detectors detect antineutrinos too?

----------------------------------------------------------

Does that mean that the number of the electrons in stars etc is getting smaller, cause of positrons? (random)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Most of the neutrinos we detect are solar neutrinos coming from p + P → d + e+ + ν. Neutrinos from the big bang are known as relic neutrinos and are too low energy to be detectable.

4. Jun 21, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A few neutrinos from supernovae and other cosmic events can be detected, together with atmospheric neutrinos (produced by cosmic rays hitting our atmosphere) and nuclear reactor antineutrinos (beta- decays, so just antineutrinos).

Similar to the cosmic microwave background, primordial neutrinos (= from the big bang) lost energy during the expansion of space, so current detectors are not sensitive enough to see them.

5. Jun 21, 2013 #4
    The Earth does produce antineutrinos; they are from the decay of radioactive nuclei (Physics Today article on geoneutrinos). I am sure the Earth produces neutrinos as well, but I am not aware of a similar measurement for them.

It depends on the method they are using for detection (Wikipedia- Neutrino detector).

6. Jun 26, 2015 #5
    Hi Bill:

Is the "P" here a typo where "p" was intended? If not, whar does "P" mean?

7. Jun 26, 2015 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

It depends on what and how you want to measure in neutrino detectors and what detectors you are using.

8. Jun 26, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It was a two year old typo (and as the thread is very old, I'll close it, feel free to discuss in other threads or open a new one).

Actually, it was not correct either because neutrinos from that particular reaction are very low-energetic and hard to detect, that was achieved for the first time in 2014.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook