Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neutron generation from T(d,n)

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    Hi guys. I have a small question and i would appreciate your help.

I want to find how many neutrons per second (in 4π) are produced from a neutron generator. The generator works with T(d,n) reaction.. We have 0.5 mA d at 100keV energy that hits a target of titanium-tritium that has 2*10^20 nucleus of Tritium. The cross section of this reaction is around 5 barn..and the surface of the target is 5cm^2..

Can anyone help me by giving me the formula that i must use to solve the problem?

Thnx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Does one know the expression for the interaction or reaction rate for a monoenergetic beam of particles striking a target of atomic density N?

One is given a microscopic cross-section, σ, of the reaction, and one should be able to determine d flux from the current and beam/target area.

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    I am looking for the equation if anyone knows it. I found sth Like R= (I σ N) /s, where R= Reaction rate, N=the total number of Tritium nucleus, σ= the cross section for the reaction, I = the current of the d beam, and s= the surface of the target...

Can anyone confirm that this is correct, because i am getting strange results...

5. May 24, 2010 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That's correct.

Perhaps one can show what one is doing with the equation.

BTW - this appears to be homework.

6. May 24, 2010 #5
    No.. Its not homework. Its about a project. I have to calculate theoretically the amount of neutrons the source produce per second, so we can be able to shield it correctly when it arrives. I am just getting 10^4 less neutrons than the generators specifications, and i want to know what i am doing wrong... I get 6.3*10^7 neutrons, when i suppost to get about 10^11.
    Generally this kind of generators produce 10^8 neutrons per μΑ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook