Neutron must travel so that kinetic energy = rest energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
aeromat
Messages
113
Reaction score
0
Problem statement
How fast must a neutron be traveling relative to a detector in order to have a measured kinetic energy that is equal to its rest energy?

An "attempt"
I know
Ek = mc^2 - m0c^2

But if Ek = m0c^2, wouldn't the two terms cancel out from this equation? I am having trouble going about with it mathematically, and could use a few pointers if you guys don't mind helping out.

Where m0 is the rest mass.
m is the relativistic mass
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, why would they cancel? You would get

[tex]2m_0 c^2 = mc^2[/tex]

where I assume you're using the concept of relativistic mass [tex]m = \gamma m_0[/tex].
 
Honestly, I have to say I overlooked that "-" sign. Thank you Pengwuino.