Can learning physics improve understanding of chemistry?

• Thread starter TMNT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, if you don't understand something in chemistry, it's likely because you don't understand the physics behind it. Studying both will help you appreciate chemistry more.
TMNT
so what advice do you guys have for me? besides studying,links? sources?

thanks i would really apreciate it :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What type of Chemistry are we talking about here? High school chem. class, College General Chemistry, ...?

Not that this is the best solution for everyone, but for me, getting practical experience working with chemicals, doing reactions on my own [in my kitchen], and "speaking the language" really helps.
If you see a chemical reaction in a book, some people might just see the letters and symbols, but if you have actually witnessed the reaction, it means to much more.

Which means more to someone, this
3Fe3O4 + 8Al --> 9Fe + 4Al2O3
Or http://amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Images/Thermite(3-12-06).jpg" ?

Synthesizing a compound gives you a new appreciation for the chemical and how it reacts.

So practice would be my advice, both in the practical aspect, and the computational aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
True dat. Do some REAL experiments. Real fun, real cool.

mrjeffy321 said:
What type of Chemistry are we talking about here? High school chem. class, College General Chemistry, ...?

Not that this is the best solution for everyone, but for me, getting practical experience working with chemicals, doing reactions on my own [in my kitchen], and "speaking the language" really helps.
If you see a chemical reaction in a book, some people might just see the letters and symbols, but if you have actually witnessed the reaction, it means to much more.

Which means more to someone, this
3Fe3O4 + 8Al --> 9Fe + 4Al2O3
Or http://amazingrust.com/Experiments/how_to/Images/Thermite(3-12-06).jpg" ?

Synthesizing a compound gives you a new appreciation for the chemical and how it reacts.

So practice would be my advice, both in the practical aspect, and the computational aspect.

oh ok, yeah its general chemistry at a community college

Last edited by a moderator:
our college offers chemistry 100 which is MODECULE/LIFE IN MODERN WORLD

and i qualify for chem 121 which is general chemistry

am i better off at taking chem 100 since i have never took chem before?

or should i just take chem 121 which I'm qualified for?

TMNT said:
our college offers chemistry 100 which is MODECULE/LIFE IN MODERN WORLD

and i qualify for chem 121 which is general chemistry

am i better off at taking chem 100 since i have never took chem before?

or should i just take chem 121 which I'm qualified for?

there is a reason you are qualified for it :rolleyes: so do that one

It is very hard to judge based purely on the course names. Do you happen to have a course descrption for each?

The chemistry 100 class might be a Chem. class which is aimed more at non science students, just giving them the basics, whereas Gen. Chem. will give you a much better background which you'll need for more advanced chemistry classes.

Based upon my own experiences taking General Chemistry I and II at my university, they cover all the important background topics you would expect to also be covered in a good high school course (at least we did in my High school chemistry class), but they cover the important parts more indepth. In my Gen. Chem. I class, they assumed you did have some previous background in chemistry, but even still, they taught the class as if you did not.

Yes - seeing the course descriptions would allow those offering opinions to give better ones.

I'm attending a CC, and am finishing up the 1st semester of General Chemistry (for Engineering and Science majors). You needed to have a good understanding of the mole concept, molar masses, chemical formulas, balancing equations, sig figs, ETC or you would have a very difficult time in this course. I took an Intro to Chemistry class prior to this one and would have been dead meat without it, even though I had a good exposure to chemistry in HS.

If it's a general chem for non-science/engineering majors, you'll probably be fine.

-Dave

When I first studied chemistry it was at uni as well and I did not understand much although I did the problems okay. But even after the exam I still felt I lacked chemical sense so I stopped taking it. I took physics for the first time as well at uni and after a year of that, I now goto some of the chemistry lectures for fun and feel that I understand the lecturer a lot more. So learning some physics definitey helps and will also make you appreciate both chemistry and physics more. You will realize that the basis of chemistry is all physics.

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It is a branch of science that helps us understand the world around us and plays a crucial role in various industries, such as medicine, agriculture, and technology.

2. Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the composition, structure, and behavior of matter. This knowledge allows us to develop new materials, improve existing products, and find solutions to global challenges, such as climate change and disease.

3. What topics are covered in a basic chemistry course?

A basic chemistry course typically covers topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, reactions, stoichiometry, and the periodic table. It may also include laboratory experiments to help students apply theoretical concepts.

4. Is chemistry difficult to learn?

Chemistry can be challenging, especially for those who have never taken it before. It involves learning new concepts and applying mathematical skills. However, with dedication, practice, and the right resources, anyone can understand and excel in chemistry.

5. How can I prepare for a chemistry course if I've never taken it before?

To prepare for a chemistry course, you can review basic math concepts, such as fractions, decimals, and scientific notation. You can also read introductory chemistry textbooks or watch online tutorials to familiarize yourself with the subject. It may also be helpful to reach out to your instructor for recommended resources or study tips.