New (old) keyboard is on the way.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
After years of complaining (which accomplishes nothing) about the crappy keyboards that ship with newer computers, I have dumped almost $100 to get a real keyboard, with tactile feedback and enough key-travel to allow my arthritic fingers to type without unnecessary pain. I loved the old IBM keyboards, and certainly hope that this one has the same touch and feel.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After years of complaining (which accomplishes nothing) about the crappy keyboards that ship with newer computers, I have dumped almost $100 to get a real keyboard, with tactile feedback and enough key-travel to allow my arthritic fingers to type without unnecessary pain. I loved the old IBM keyboards, and certainly hope that this one has the same touch and feel.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/ [Broken]
Dang. I could have sent you my old PS2 keyboard.

BTW How's Windows 7 treating you now?

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
Dang. I could have sent you my old PS2 keyboard.

BTW How's Windows 7 treating you now?
Thanks, Don! I really need a USB keyboard, though. This new Dell doesn't even have the PS2 female jacks for keyboard, mouse, etc. That interface has been abandoned, or I might have been able to source a used keyboard locally.

I'm still not a fan of Win7. I much prefer the XP look and feel. There is so much stuff in Win7 that is buried in unexpected places... Of course, I was not a big fan of ditching the command-line in favor of Windows many years back. When I bought my first IBM PS2 model 50, Windows was included for free. It was a very stripped-down graphical interface, and I ditched it immediately because it was a resource-hog and did nothing useful.

Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You can pick up a PS/2-to-USB converter for a few bucks at any electronics store, or order one through Newegg...

But just because a keyboard is old and has a PS/2 connector does not mean it is actually a mechanical keyboard with tactile feedback. Cheap bubble keyboards were in common use before USB become popular, I'm pretty sure.

You'll really enjoy the new keyboard, though. I dropped about $100 on a Das Keyboard a few months ago, and within a few days I decided it was well worth it.

turbo
Gold Member
Thanks, Ben.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks, Don! I really need a USB keyboard, though. This new Dell doesn't even have the PS2 female jacks for keyboard, mouse, etc. That interface has been abandoned, or I might have been able to source a used keyboard locally.
lol. How soon we forget. I was wanting to load up a couple of old programs from 3½" diskettes and had to borrow a USB floppy. Then I found out the old 16bit programs can't be ran with these "new" processors.

Of course, I was not a big fan of ditching the command-line in favor of Windows many years back. When I bought my first IBM PS2 model 50, Windows was included for free. It was a very stripped-down graphical interface, and I ditched it immediately because it was a resource-hog and did nothing useful.
Same here, but oooh so glad there's graphic interfaces now.