Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New (old) keyboard is on the way.

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1

turbo

Gold Member

After years of complaining (which accomplishes nothing) about the crappy keyboards that ship with newer computers, I have dumped almost $100 to get a real keyboard, with tactile feedback and enough key-travel to allow my arthritic fingers to type without unnecessary pain. I loved the old IBM keyboards, and certainly hope that this one has the same touch and feel.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dang. I could have sent you my old PS2 keyboard.

BTW How's Windows 7 treating you now?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Nov 10, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks, Don! I really need a USB keyboard, though. This new Dell doesn't even have the PS2 female jacks for keyboard, mouse, etc. That interface has been abandoned, or I might have been able to source a used keyboard locally.

I'm still not a fan of Win7. I much prefer the XP look and feel. There is so much stuff in Win7 that is buried in unexpected places... Of course, I was not a big fan of ditching the command-line in favor of Windows many years back. When I bought my first IBM PS2 model 50, Windows was included for free. It was a very stripped-down graphical interface, and I ditched it immediately because it was a resource-hog and did nothing useful.

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can pick up a PS/2-to-USB converter for a few bucks at any electronics store, or order one through Newegg...

But just because a keyboard is old and has a PS/2 connector does not mean it is actually a mechanical keyboard with tactile feedback. Cheap bubble keyboards were in common use before USB become popular, I'm pretty sure.

You'll really enjoy the new keyboard, though. I dropped about $100 on a Das Keyboard a few months ago, and within a few days I decided it was well worth it.

6. Nov 10, 2011 #5
  7. Nov 10, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Thanks, Ben.

8. Nov 10, 2011 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol. How soon we forget. I was wanting to load up a couple of old programs from 3½" diskettes and had to borrow a USB floppy. Then I found out the old 16bit programs can't be ran with these "new" processors.

Same here, but oooh so glad there's graphic interfaces now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook