Newbie learning Heat Exchanger

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ΔTLMTDcf, with a resulting value of 24.7 °C. The conversation also mentions the use of natural logarithm, with the notation ##\operatorname{ln}##. The conversation also references a heat exchanger and a description, but does not provide enough information to fully understand the context.
Clemens Khoo
TL;DR Summary
Hi guys, I got a question here for this Heat Exchanger.
Please refer the description.
May I know why the answer is 24.7? How?
"ln" stand for?
How to calculate?
ΔTLMTDcf = 20 - 30
ln20/30 ←(What is "In"?)
= 24.7°C ←(Why the answer is 24.7? How?)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello @Clemens Khoo,
:welcome: ##\qquad ##!​

In the first place: the answer is NOT 24.7 but 24.7 °C
(I don't even know the question -- you really should post the full problem statement ! -- , but I bet my career on that).

Then: you want to look up LMTD to find out what the exercise is about. If you don't know, then either you've been sleeping or not attended at all.

Ln is natural logarithm, which google. The notation ##\operatorname{ln}## is for dimwits, excel users and engineers who would otherwise interpret the corrrect notation ##\log## as a logarithm base 10.
(*)

And ##\log(20/30) ## is not 24.7 !

[edit]Ah, I see: you meant to write $${20-30\over\log(20/30)}$$ and didn't notice PF posts ignore spaces​

for this Heat Exchanger.
Please refer the description.
What HX ? What description ?

----------------

(*) Just kidding. See here.

##\ ##

Last edited:

1. What is a heat exchanger and how does it work?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another without the two fluids mixing together. It works by having two separate fluid channels, one for each fluid, and a barrier in between them. The barrier allows for heat to be transferred from one fluid to the other without any physical contact.

2. What are the different types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and spiral heat exchangers. Each type has its own unique design and is used for different applications. For example, shell and tube heat exchangers are commonly used in industrial processes, while plate and frame heat exchangers are often used in HVAC systems.

3. How do I choose the right heat exchanger for my application?

Choosing the right heat exchanger depends on several factors, including the type of fluids being used, the desired heat transfer rate, and the available space for the heat exchanger. It is important to consult with a heat exchanger expert to determine the best option for your specific application.

4. What are the key components of a heat exchanger?

The key components of a heat exchanger include the tubes, shell, baffles, and headers. The tubes are where the fluids flow through, the shell encloses the tubes, the baffles help to increase heat transfer, and the headers are used for fluid inlet and outlet connections.

5. How do I maintain and clean a heat exchanger?

Proper maintenance and cleaning of a heat exchanger are crucial for its efficient operation. This includes regularly checking for leaks, corrosion, and fouling, and cleaning the tubes and shell to remove any buildup. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and cleaning to ensure the longevity of the heat exchanger.