Newton and Leibniz's versions of calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the research on the calculus performed by Newton and Leibniz, specifically their use of limits and infinite series. The person is having difficulty finding information on this topic and is seeking recommendations for further reading, such as the book "The Calculus Gallery: Masterpieces from Newton to Lebesgue" and Newton's original book on Calculus. They also mention the option of reading Wikipedia or finding a book on the history of calculus.
joe_12
I am currently trying to research the calculus performed by both Newton and Leibniz. Specifically, their use of limits and infinite series in each of their versions.

However, I am having some trouble finding any information regarding this. I know that Newton, for example, founded his version of calculus on the concept of limits. But nowhere seems to expand on this!

So I was hoping that someone could shed some light on the topic for me or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
First read the basic literature on the internet, such as found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_calculus .

If those are not not in enough detail or don't have an interesting writing style, you'll have to get a book. There are many on the history of calculus and analysis. A lecturer recommended to me "The Calculus Gallery: Masterpieces from Newton to Lebesgue, William Dunham", and from the excerpts I've seen, it is excellent. You can pick up a used copy on Amazon for $13. I doubt you'd find it in your local library though.

If you really want to be thorough you could try reading Newton's original book on Calculus http://www.archive.org/details/methodoffluxions00newt" . Go down to the two Scholiums for his verbal explanations, or if you're more adventurous you could try to actually understand the Lemmas and their proofs

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between Newton and Leibniz's versions of calculus?

Newton and Leibniz both independently developed the mathematical field of calculus. However, they had different approaches and notations for the same concepts. Newton's version, called "fluxions," focused on the instantaneous rate of change, while Leibniz's version, called "differentials," focused on the slope of a curve. Additionally, Newton used geometric proofs, while Leibniz used algebraic notation.

2. Did Newton and Leibniz work together on developing calculus?

No, Newton and Leibniz worked independently on developing calculus. However, there is some controversy over who should be credited as the true founder of calculus, as both men published their work around the same time and had similar ideas.

3. Which notation for calculus is used more commonly today, Newton's or Leibniz's?

Leibniz's notation is more commonly used in modern calculus. This is because his notation is more intuitive and easier to use in mathematical equations compared to Newton's notation. However, both notations are still used in different contexts.

4. What impact did Newton and Leibniz's versions of calculus have on the scientific community?

The development of calculus by Newton and Leibniz revolutionized the field of mathematics and had a significant impact on various scientific fields, such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It allowed for the precise calculation of rates of change and the ability to solve complex problems that were previously impossible to solve.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the development of calculus by Newton and Leibniz?

Yes, there is still some controversy over who should receive credit as the true founder of calculus. Some argue that Newton developed the fundamental concepts of calculus first, while others argue that Leibniz's notation was more comprehensive and easier to use. Additionally, there have been accusations of plagiarism and priority disputes between the two men.