Geodesic dome parametric formula

Allowed=yIn summary, the conversation is about finding the calculus behind geodesic domes, specifically related to parametric surfaces. The website found falls short of providing the necessary information, and other sources have not been successful. Yale suggests finding the geodesic by minimizing the arc length using specific formulas available in print form. However, the conversation concludes that these formulas may be found in a geodesics on surfaces pdf.
JessicaHelena
I've been researching for the calculus behind geodesic domes, and specifically calculus related to parametric surfaces. I've found http://teachers.yale.edu/curriculum/viewer/new_haven_06.04.05_u#f, but unfortunately, it comes short of providing me the most needed information, and so far I couldn't find the information anywhere else.

Basically, Yale says,

"For a surface defined parametrically by x = x(u, v), y = y(u, v), and z = z(u, v), the geodesic can be found by minimizing the arc length

(formulas available in print form) ...

For a surface of revolution in which y = g(x) and is rotated about the x-axis so that t

(formulas available in print form)"

Could someone please help me figure out what these "formulas available in print form" are? Thank you so much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a geodesic dome?

A geodesic dome is a dome-shaped structure made up of interconnected triangular panels. It is known for its strength and stability, as well as its efficient use of materials.

2. What is the parametric formula for a geodesic dome?

The parametric formula for a geodesic dome is a set of mathematical equations that describe the geometric properties of the dome, such as the angles and lengths of the triangular panels.

3. How is the parametric formula used in the construction of a geodesic dome?

The parametric formula is used to calculate the dimensions and angles of the triangular panels, which are then cut and assembled to form the dome structure.

4. Are there different parametric formulas for different types of geodesic domes?

Yes, there are different parametric formulas for different types of geodesic domes. The formula may vary depending on the size, shape, and complexity of the dome.

5. Can the parametric formula be altered to customize the design of a geodesic dome?

Yes, the parametric formula can be altered to customize the design of a geodesic dome. By adjusting the parameters, such as the frequency and strut length, the shape and size of the dome can be altered to fit specific needs and preferences.