Newtonian description of Gravitational Potential Energy

In summary: I'm still on special relativity, and haven't yet reached general relativity, but had a question in mind...does the Newtonian description of Gravitational Potential EnergyU= -G \frac{M m}{R}fail for very strong gravitational fields?Not at all. In the "weak field" limit, GR recovers the Newtonian potential (for a static source). In fact, this is an important feature of any gravitational theory -- it must make contact with non-relativistic physics in the appropriate limit. This is where the factor of 8 pi comes from in Einstein's equations -- it comes from matching the Einstein Eqs to the Poisson equation for the Newtonian potential in
particlemania
I'm still on special relativity, and haven't yet reached general relativity, but had a question in mind...

does the Newtonian description of Gravitational Potential Energy

[tex]U= -G \frac{M m}{R}[/tex]

fail for very strong gravitational fields?

or it only fails where curvature of space becomes evident?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if you mean curvature of space or curvature of spacetime here. In GR, even weak fields are described using curved spacetime.

The equation U=-GMm/R isn't useful for strong fields. Actually, the whole concept of gravitational potential energy U isn't even useful for strong fields. Newtonian mechanics describes gravity as an instantaneous action at a distance, and this point of view is built into the whole idea of having such a function U(R). GR doesn't describe gravity as an instantaneous action at a distance.

So does that mean that PE loses its meaning in General Relativity.

If that is so, there must be some equivalent, something that tells us about the energy contained in a body for keeping it static with respect to a g-field...

particlemania said:
So does that mean that PE loses its meaning in General Relativity.
Not at all. In the "weak field" limit, GR recovers the Newtonian potential (for a static source). In fact, this is an important feature of any gravitational theory -- it must make contact with non-relativistic physics in the appropriate limit. This is where the factor of 8 pi comes from in Einstein's equations -- it comes from matching the Einstein Eqs to the Poisson equation for the Newtonian potential in the weak static field limit.

In GR, the Newtonian potential is used extensively in cosmological perturbation theory (as you might expect). Just to whet your appetite:

The gravitational potential in GR is the metric tensor, [tex]g_{\mu \nu}[/tex]. You can think of it as a 4x4 matrix with [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]\nu[/tex] indexing the entries. The 0-0 component couples to energy density. In perturbation theory, one writes:

[tex]g_{00} \simeq -(1 + 2\phi)[/tex]

where I think you can guess what [tex]\phi[/tex] is...

particlemania said:
I'm still on special relativity, and haven't yet reached general relativity, but had a question in mind...

does the Newtonian description of Gravitational Potential Energy

[tex]U= -G \frac{M m}{R}[/tex]

fail for very strong gravitational fields?

or it only fails where curvature of space becomes evident?

If one tries to examine a potential energy in GR they would find that it goes to infinity if the density gets too high. They would also find that when the density is close to being too high in the neighborhood of our observer the potential would have to depend on the velocity of the object, with significant changes with changes in the direction of the velocity.

Any definition of a gravitational potential could be made to go to zero at any point, and this restricts the ability to describe a gravitational potential in terms of a tensor, as GR would like to do. The Landau-Lipgarbagez pseudotensor is a good start, if you want to see what the gravitational potential might look like in GR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy-momentum_pseudotensor

utesfan100 said:
If one tries to examine a potential energy in GR they would find that it goes to infinity if the density gets too high. They would also find that when the density is close to being too high in the neighborhood of our observer the potential would have to depend on the velocity of the object, with significant changes with changes in the direction of the velocity.

Any definition of a gravitational potential could be made to go to zero at any point, and this restricts the ability to describe a gravitational potential in terms of a tensor, as GR would like to do. The Landau-Lipgarbagez pseudotensor is a good start, if you want to see what the gravitational potential might look like in GR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy-momentum_pseudotensor

You should read my post above.

bapowell said:
You should read my post above.

I did. My learning style here is to think out loud and watch how the hammers bang out my thoughts :)

Your post was on how the GR theory becomes like the Newtonian theory. Mine was more on how the Newtonian theory breaks from what we know to happen under GR.

utesfan100 said:
I did. My learning style here is to think out loud and watch how the hammers bang out my thoughts :)

Your post was on how the GR theory becomes like the Newtonian theory. Mine was more on how the Newtonian theory breaks from what we know to happen under GR.

Sorry, misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting that it was difficult to define a scalar potential in GR because of its tensorial nature. Apologies.

Well as I am still on Special Relativity, I am still not very comfortable with tensors being used as potentials.

Also I couldn't guess what that phi [tex]\phi[/tex] was for...

Although I can imagine how, in strong fields, the velocity and direction of motion will have great influence on potential energy.

Sorry. The [tex]\phi[/tex] is the Newtonian potential. It is defined perturbatively in GR. You shouldn't be too uncomfortable with tensors being potentials in GR. That is, if you are comfortable with the vector potential in ED, this is just one step further...

1. What is the definition of gravitational potential energy according to Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Gravitational potential energy is defined as the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field, according to Newton's law of universal gravitation. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object.

2. How is gravitational potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Gravitational potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, but they are two distinct forms of energy.

3. How is gravitational potential energy affected by the mass and distance of two objects?

The gravitational potential energy between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the distance between them squared. This means that as the mass of the objects increases, the gravitational potential energy also increases, and as the distance between them increases, the gravitational potential energy decreases.

4. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point for measuring potential energy is set at a point where the gravitational potential energy is zero. In this case, if the object is positioned below the reference point, it will have a negative gravitational potential energy.

5. How is gravitational potential energy used in real-world applications?

Gravitational potential energy is used in many real-world applications, such as in hydroelectric power plants where the potential energy of water is converted into electrical energy. It is also used in space exploration to launch rockets and satellites using the Earth's gravitational potential energy. Additionally, gravitational potential energy plays a crucial role in understanding the formation and movement of celestial bodies in the universe.