Newton's 3rd Law - Firefighter slides down a pole

• Thread starter prosteve037
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Pole
In summary, the net force on the firefighter from the pole is the same as the net force on the firefighter from the pole, but the magnitude of the frictional force on the pole is different.
prosteve037

Homework Statement

A firefighter who weighs 712 N slides down a vertical pole with an acceleration 3 m/s2, directed downward. What are the (a) magnitude and (b) direction (up or down) of the vertical force on the firefighter from the pole and the (c) magnitude and (d) direction (up or down) of the vertical force on the pole from the firefighter?

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law: Fnet = ma
Newton's Third Law: F1 + F2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the magnitude of the force on the pole from the firefighter will be the same as the force on the firefighter from the pole, but I'm having trouble implementing this to Newton's Second and Third Laws.

(a)

Let [itex]\textit{F}_{P}[/itex] be the vertical force on the firefighter from the pole.
Let [itex]\textit{W}_{F}[/itex] be the weight of the firefighter.
Let [itex]\textit{m}_{F}[/itex] be the mass of the firefighter.

[itex]\textit{m}_{F} = \frac{W_F}{9.8}\textit{ = 72.6531 kg}[/itex]

[itex]\sum\textit{F}_{y} = \textit{F}_{P}\textit{ - W}_{F}\textit{ = m}_{F}\textit{ a}_{y}\textit{ = }\textit{(72.6531 kg)(-3}\frac{m}{s^2}\textit{) + (712 N) = }[/itex][itex]\textit{494.0408 N}[/itex]

This answer is correct according to the text.

(b) Up, to resist the net downward acceleration.

Also correct according to the text.

(c) Now this is where I don't know how to implement the equations properly and visualize the diagram for forces.

First, I tried identifying all the forces on the body of interest; the pole. Since in part (a) I identified all the forces acting on the firefighter, I chose to identify all the forces acting on the pole.

With this, I reasoned that [itex]\textit{W}{_F}[/itex] acts on the pole in the downward direction, while the frictional force [itex]\textit{F}{_f}[/itex] acts upward on the pole.

Since the net acceleration of the body (the pole) was 0, I put [itex]\sum\textit{F}{_y}\textit{ = F}{_f}\textit{ - W}{_F = 0}[/itex]

This is wrong according to the text, but I also feel that I'm missing a key idea for this problem. I just don't know what :/

Physics news on Phys.org
steve , have you drawn free body diagram for the firefighter and the pole separately ?
it does helps to understand the situation. its better than imagining in your mind.

now remember in Newton's third law, the action and reaction always act on different bodies. also all forces in nature come in action-reaction pairs. so [itex]W_F[/itex]doesn't act on the pole. that's wrong kind of language. [itex]W_F[/itex] is force exerted by the Earth on the man and one should ask instantly , what is its reaction according to third law ? well, that is force exerted by the man on the earth. these two forces form action-reaction pair. now what you found in part a is force exerted on the man by the pole. so its reaction is the force exerted by the man on the pole and by Newton's third law , their magnitudes are equal... does it help

IssacNewton said:
steve , have you drawn free body diagram for the firefighter and the pole separately ?
it does helps to understand the situation. its better than imagining in your mind.

Yes I did also draw a free-body diagram to go along with this problem.

IssacNewton said:
now remember in Newton's third law, the action and reaction always act on different bodies. also all forces in nature come in action-reaction pairs. so [itex]W_F[/itex]doesn't act on the pole. that's wrong kind of language. [itex]W_F[/itex] is force exerted by the Earth on the man and one should ask instantly , what is its reaction according to third law ? well, that is force exerted by the man on the earth. these two forces form action-reaction pair. now what you found in part a is force exerted on the man by the pole. so its reaction is the force exerted by the man on the pole and by Newton's third law , their magnitudes are equal... does it help

Well I did already know the answer to part (c) because of Newton's Third Law but I didn't know if it had anything to do with the free-body diagram and the affecting forces.

I guess what I'm confused about is figuring how to apply Newton's Second Law in finding (c).

Or is it that you CAN'T just use Newton's Second Law to find (c)?

yes you can use second law, but the intermediate step would be Newton's third law anyway.

Wait. Does the firefighter also exert a frictional force on the pole?

I always assumed friction to be be made from only one body to another interacting body. Not both bodies.

the force of interaction between the man and the pole would be, yes , frictional force.
frictional force is just one type of force... since its interactive force, you need two bodies
to interact

IssacNewton said:
the force of interaction between the man and the pole would be, yes , frictional force.
frictional force is just one type of force... since its interactive force, you need two bodies
to interact

Ahh I see. Okay, so since there's a frictional force exerted by both the pole and firefighter, you'd have to reuse the force found in (a) to use Newton's Second Law in part (c) correct?

yes, correct... but we can directly use third law... since every force has its reaction paired with it (unless its pseudo force, which doesn't have reaction pair... that's why its called 'pseudo' force...), and in part a), you found one of these pairs, part c) is asking for the reaction associated with the force in part a)...

IssacNewton said:
yes, correct... but we can directly use third law... since every force has its reaction paired with it (unless its pseudo force, which doesn't have reaction pair... that's why its called 'pseudo' force...), and in part a), you found one of these pairs, part c) is asking for the reaction associated with the force in part a)...

Okay thanks much :]

What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force back on the first object.

How does Newton's 3rd Law relate to a firefighter sliding down a pole?

When a firefighter slides down a pole, they are exerting a force on the pole in a downward direction. According to Newton's 3rd Law, the pole will also exert an equal force back on the firefighter in an upward direction. This allows the firefighter to slide down the pole with ease.

Why is Newton's 3rd Law important for firefighters?

Newton's 3rd Law is important for firefighters because it helps them understand the forces at play when performing tasks such as sliding down a pole or carrying heavy equipment. By understanding this law, firefighters can better plan and execute their actions in order to work efficiently and safely.

Can Newton's 3rd Law be applied to other situations in firefighting?

Yes, Newton's 3rd Law can be applied to many other situations in firefighting, such as when using a fire hose to spray water onto a fire. The force of the water being pushed out of the hose in one direction will result in an equal force pushing back on the firefighter holding the hose in the opposite direction.

How does Newton's 3rd Law affect the motion of objects in firefighting?

Newton's 3rd Law affects the motion of objects in firefighting by creating a balance of forces. For example, when a firefighter is holding a heavy object, the object will exert an equal force back on the firefighter. This allows the firefighter to maintain a steady and controlled movement while carrying the object.