1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Law and Friction (Ramp problem)

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block is placed on a incline plane. A 21 N force is required to push the block up the incline with constant velocity. What is the weight of the block? Answer in units of N

2. Relevant equations
    The force pushing the block=21 N with an angle of 13 degrees. The ramp has an angle of 21 degrees. Coefficient of friction=0.17. Ramp goes up from left to right.
    fs = uN, F = ma, acceleration is 0.

Angle of force = phi, Angle of ramp = theta

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt: (after drawing my free-body diagram)

F(y-component): N-mgcos(theta) = 0 --> N=mgcos(theta) --> Fsin(phi)-mgcos(theta) = 0
    F(x-component): Fcos(phi)-mgsin(theta)-fs = 0 --> Fcos(phi)-mgsin(theta)-umgcos(theta) = 0

I multiplied the y-component with the negative u (or mu) to cancel out umgcos(theta)

Then: Fcos(phi)-uFsin(phi)-mgsin(theta) = 0, So I solved for mg and my answer was incorrect. What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you find when the solving was done?
    I notice phi is different from the 21 degrees. Is phi wrt horizontal? Does its y component contribute to the friction force ?

4. Feb 7, 2014 #3
    Well the problem indicated that the force pushing the block up the ramp had an angle of 13 degrees. So denoting that phi, I used Fsin(phi) and Fcos(phi) respectively.

My answer in the end was about 54.85 N. Which was incorrect. No idea what I am doing wrong.

5. Feb 7, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I take it the free body diagram decomposes mg along the slope and perpendicular to it.
    You want to do the same with the 21 N force. What is the angle wrt the plane ?
    The component perpendicular to the plane is to be added to mg ##\cos\theta## to determine the normal force.
    That times ##\mu## is the friction force, along the slope, downwards. To be added to mg ##\sin\theta##, also downwards. Call the sum Fdown
    No acceleration (i.e. constant speed) along the slope means the 21 N component along the slope is equal and opposite to this Fdown

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted