Newton's Laws and the coefficient of kinetic friction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 6K views
petern
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Here is the problem:
A 12.5 Kg wooden crate with an initial velocity of 2.5m/s slides across a rough cement floor for 1.7 m before coming to rest. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction. (Use GUESS method.) The answer is 0.19.

The equation you use is: coefficient = kinetic friction/normal force

I worked backwards so I got 0.19 = kinetic friction/(9.8 gravity x 12.5 kg)

That means the kinetic friction has to be 23.275 N.

Can someone show me how to work this one correctly. I don't know where the 23.275 came from.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the crate's acceleration. Then apply Newton's 2nd law.
 
OK, so I figured out that acceleration is -.075 m/s^2. So friction is equal to m x a. This would mean the plugged in values would be: coefficient = (12.5 kg x -.75 m/s^2)/(12.5 kg x 9.8 m/s^2). I got the answer -.077 but this is wrong because the correct coefficient is .19. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I just realized that I forgot to square the velocity as I was solving for a. So the acceleration should have actually been -1.838 m/s^2. Thank you so much for the help. I finally figured it out.
 
Last edited:
I do have one last question, is the working equation (v^2/x)(m) / (g)(m)?
 
is the mew exactly .19?
 
Last edited:
i haven't done these types of problems in awhile but this is what i have.

to find acceleration use:
v[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]=v[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex]+2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x//solve for a
a=(v[tex]^{2}_{f}[/tex]-v[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex])/2[tex]\Delta[/tex]x//substitute known values
a=-1.838m/s[tex]^{}2[/tex]

now use:
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma//the sum of the forces=ma;the only force acting here is friction
-[tex]\mu[/tex]mg=ma//m's cancel out and you get
[tex]\mu[/tex]=-a/g
[tex]\mu[/tex]=.187
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I got that exact answer too. Thanks for the help.