Newtons Laws-Force with respect to time

In summary, an electron with a mass of 9.0 x 10^-31 kg and a velocity of 2.0 x 10^6m/s enters a region between two charged plates with a height of 1cm. It experiences a force of 3.0 x 10^-18N perpendicular to the plates, causing an acceleration along the horizontal direction. Using the equations F=ma and Vo^2 + 2(a)(d)= V^2, the time and horizontal component of velocity can be calculated. The motion has two components: uniform motion along the y direction and accelerated motion along the x direction.
mikee

Homework Statement

An electron is oriented between two charged plates (oriented vertically). The electron experiences a constant force perpendicular to the plates. It has a mass of 9.0 x 10^-31 kg, is moving vertically with a velocity of 2.0 x 10^6m/s and enters the region between the two plates. The region has a height of 1cm and while in it the electron experiences a force of 3.0 x 10^-18N. How long does the electron stay in the region, and what is the horizontal component of velocity as soon as the electron passes through the region

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok here's how i started it, i figured out the acceleration of the particle by F= ma , a= 3.0 x 10^-18/9.0 x 10^-31 and therefore now that i have the acceleration and the x which = 0.001m i can use those to figure out the time and the velocity, so i figured out the velocity by using the equation Vo^2 + 2(a)(d)= V^2
and i used 2.6 x 10^6 for Vo^2 and solved for V and once i found that i used V to solve for the time and i used V= a(t) + Vo is this method correct or am i totally off, would i have to incorporate gravity into it, and also since it says the force is perpendicular to the plates would i have to take the force in the x direction instead of the y direction like i did and if so is it going left or right, those are some details i just wasnt to sure on, if anyone could help thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron is moving upward initially (let's call this y direction).
The acceleration is horizontal (x direction).
1 cm is the height of the plates. There is no acceleration along this direction.
The motion has two components:
- uniform motion along y, with given speed
- accelerated motion along x, with zero initial velocity

Your approach is correct. Since the electron is experiencing a constant force perpendicular to the plates, we can ignore the force in the x direction and focus on the motion in the y direction. The force of 3.0 x 10^-18N is the net force acting on the electron, which is equal to the mass (9.0 x 10^-31 kg) multiplied by the acceleration. So, using the equation F=ma, we can find the acceleration to be 3.3 x 10^13 m/s^2.

Next, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the final velocity of the electron after it has passed through the region between the plates. We know the initial velocity (2.0 x 10^6 m/s) and the acceleration (3.3 x 10^13 m/s^2), so we can solve for the final velocity to be 2.0 x 10^6 m/s.

To find the time the electron stays in the region, we can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Plugging in our values, we get t = (2.0 x 10^6 m/s - 2.0 x 10^6 m/s) / (3.3 x 10^13 m/s^2) = 0 seconds. This means that the electron passes through the region instantaneously and does not stay in the region at all.

As for the horizontal component of velocity, since the force is perpendicular to the plates, there is no change in the horizontal component of velocity. The electron will continue to move with a horizontal velocity of 2.0 x 10^6 m/s after passing through the region between the plates.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How does force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's second law, force is directly proportional to an object's acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Additionally, the direction of the force will determine the direction of the object's acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between force and time?

Newton's second law also states that the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass. This means that for a given force, an object with a smaller mass will experience a greater acceleration than an object with a larger mass. Therefore, the amount of time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity or distance will be affected by the force applied to it.

4. How do Newton's Laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, the first law explains why objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by a force, such as a book on a table remaining in place until someone picks it up. The second law can be seen in a car's acceleration when the gas pedal is pressed. The third law can be seen in actions like jumping, where the force exerted on the ground pushes back with an equal force, propelling the person upwards.

5. Can Newton's Laws be broken or disproven?

No, Newton's Laws are fundamental principles of physics and have been extensively tested and observed to be true in countless experiments. However, they are not the complete explanation of motion and have been expanded upon by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity. In extreme conditions, such as near the speed of light or in the presence of very strong gravitational forces, Newton's Laws may not accurately predict the behavior of objects.