Newton's Laws of Motion Question

In summary, the setup involves a 1.5kg cart connected by a string over a pulley to a 0.3kg hanging mass, and the acceleration of both objects can be expressed in terms of the tension in the string.
I <3 Physic

Homework Statement

A cart of mass 1.5 kg is connected by a string over a pulley to a hanging mass of 300g. What would be the acceleration of the cart and mass if the force of gravity is approximately 1N for a 100g mass.
Cart 1=1.5kg
Cart 2=0.3 Kg
Fg1=15N
Fg2=3N

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am having a bit of difficulty picturing this problem in my mind but here is my solution. I need to find the variables F,M, and a. So F would be 15-3=12N because the cart 1 needs to overpower the 3N in order to move it up. The weight would be 1.5kg so i would plug that into the equation to get 12/1.5=8m/s^2(Down). I could do the other one as well 12/0.3=40m/s^2. I was wondering if this is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi I <3 Physic, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I <3 Physic said:

Homework Statement

A cart of mass 1.5 kg is connected by a string over a pulley to a hanging mass of 300g. What would be the acceleration of the cart and mass if the force of gravity is approximately 1N for a 100g mass.
Cart 1=1.5kg
Cart 2=0.3 Kg
Fg1=15N
Fg2=3N

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am having a bit of difficulty picturing this problem in my mind but here is my solution. I need to find the variables F,M, and a. So F would be 15-3=12N because the cart 1 needs to overpower the 3N in order to move it up. The weight would be 1.5kg so i would plug that into the equation to get 12/1.5=8m/s^2(Down). I could do the other one as well 12/0.3=40m/s^2. I was wondering if this is correct?
The problem setup is a cart on a level surface (like a table top) connected by a string which goes over a pulley to some mass that's hanging from the string. So only one of the masses involved is subject to the force of gravity affecting the tension in the string.

You'll want to draw free body diagrams (FBDs) for both objects. The string remains taught with some tension T acting on both objects. You should be able to use the FBD to write expressions for the acceleration of both of them with the tension T as a shared variable (the tension in the string is the same for both objects).

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are considered the cornerstone of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How are Newton's Laws of Motion relevant to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion are relevant to everyday life in many ways. For example, they explain why objects stay in motion or come to a stop, why it is easier to push an empty shopping cart than a full one, and how rockets are able to launch into space. They also form the basis for many technological advancements, such as cars, airplanes, and roller coasters.