Newton's laws,solving for tension (smthn wrong with my work)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a toy cart being pulled up a ramp with a load on top. The maximum tension T that can be applied without causing the load to slip is being sought. The solution involves considering forces in the x and y directions, including friction and gravity, and correctly summing forces for the cart with mass m1 and the load with mass m2.
JadeLove
A flat-topped toy cart moves on frictionless wheels, pulled by a rope under tension The mass of the cart is m1. A load of mass m2 rests on top of the cart with the coefficient of static friction u between the cart and the load. The cart is pulled up a ramp that is inclined at an angle theta above the horizontal. The rope is parallel to the ramp. What is the maximum tension T that can be applied without causing to load to slip?

Okay. I figure this problem is fairly simple right?
(i) Fx = m2a
(ii) ff = m2a
(iii)Fy = 0
(iv)Fn - m2gcos = 0
(v) Fn = m2gcos
Plug v into (ii)
(vi) um2gcos = m2a
(vii) a = ugcos
Now sum forces for the cart
(vii) T - ff = (m1+m2)a
Plug in (vi) and (vii)
T - um2gcos = (m1+m2)(ugcos)
Here's my problem. The final answer is simply T = (m1+m2)(ugcos). Meaning there's an obvious problem with my work here...

What's the problem here? I'm so confused! My teacher suggested "adding m2gsin" to my fx equation, so like m2a + m2gsin? Because I tried that out and it still didn't work. Any help is great help, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
JadeLove said:
(i) Fx = m2a
(ii) ff = m2a
What about gravity?
(iii)Fy = 0
(iv)Fn - m2gcos = 0
(v) Fn = m2gcos
OK.
Plug v into (ii)
(vi) um2gcos = m2a
(vii) a = ugcos
You'll need to fix this since you left out gravity on m2.
Now sum forces for the cart
(vii) T - ff = (m1+m2)a
The cart has mass m1, not m1 + m2. (And you forgot about gravity again.)

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
What about gravity?

OK.

You'll need to fix this since you left out gravity on m2.

The cart has mass m1, not m1 + m2. (And you forgot about gravity again.)

-------

Right, so does that mean it's m2a + m2gsin, with gravity added? or am I wrong??

JadeLove said:
Right, so does that mean it's m2a + m2gsin, with gravity added? or am I wrong??
Adding gravity to your m2 equation means adding -m2gsinθ to ƩFx.

Doc Al said:
Adding gravity to your m2 equation means adding -m2gsinθ to ƩFx.

Okay, thanks ^__^

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the force applied to an object to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do I solve for tension in a system using Newton's Laws?

To solve for tension in a system, you will need to apply Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In a system with a tension force, you will need to set up an equation with the tension force as one of the forces acting on the object, along with any other forces present. You can then solve for the tension force by rearranging the equation.

3. Why might there be something wrong with my work when solving for tension?

There are several possible reasons for errors when solving for tension in a system using Newton's Laws. Some common mistakes include not properly identifying all the forces acting on the object, not considering the direction of the forces, and not using the correct units in the calculations. It is also possible to make errors in algebraic manipulation or calculations. Double-checking your work and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can help identify and correct any mistakes.

4. Can Newton's Laws be applied to all situations?

No, Newton's Laws have limitations and are not applicable in all situations. They are most accurate for describing the motion of objects at speeds much slower than the speed of light and in the absence of strong gravitational fields. Additionally, Newton's Laws do not take into account the effects of friction, air resistance, and other external forces that may be present in a real-world scenario.

5. How can understanding Newton's Laws benefit me as a scientist?

Understanding Newton's Laws is essential for scientists, as they are the foundation of classical mechanics and are used to explain the motion of objects in the world around us. By understanding these laws, scientists can predict and analyze the behavior of objects in motion, design experiments, and develop new technologies. Newton's Laws are also crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.