1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Method (as applied to Auto Financing)

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car dealer sells a new car for $18,000. He also offers to sell the same car for monthly payments of $375.00 for five years. What monthly rate is this dealer charging?

2. Relevant equations
    A = [R(1 - (1 + i))^-60] / i

where A = the present value, R = the monthly payment, i = the interest rate, n = the number of monthly payments

Replacing i by x, show that 48x(1 + x)^60 - (1 + x)^60 + 1 = 0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that, "Replacing i by x, show that 48x(1 + x)^60 - (1 + x)^60 -1 = 0.", seemed to suggest that they wanted me to solve for i (or x), but in hindsight I don't think that's what I need to do. I don't know where to start now. [edit] Or I suppose rather that I'm just supposed to set it equal to 0 somehow. In which case I guess I don't know what they're doing to (1 + x)^60.[edit]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are using an incorrect formula. If you have 60 monthly payments of R, the payment in month 2 is discounted by 1/(1+r), that in month 3 is discounted by 1/(1+r)^2, ... and the final payment in month 60 is discounted by 1/(1+r)^59. Here, r is the monthly interest rate. So, equating the net present value to the car's price P we have
    [tex] P = R \left( 1 + \frac{1}{1+r} + \frac{1}{(1+r)^2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{(1+r)^{59}} \right)\\
    = R \left( \frac{1+r}{r} - \frac{1}{r(1+r)^{59}} \right).
    [/tex]
    So, we need to solve
    [tex] 18000 = 375 \left( \frac{1+r}{r} - \frac{1}{r(1+r)^{59}} \right).[/tex]

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook