Newton's Method (as applied to Auto Financing)

In summary: Computing Club I thought that, "Replacing i by x, show that 48x(1 + x)^60 - (1 + x)^60 -1 = 0.", seemed to suggest that they wanted me to solve for i (or x), but in hindsight I don't think that's what I need to do. I don't know where to start now. [edit] Or I suppose rather that I'm just supposed to set it equal to 0 somehow. In which case I guess I don't know what they're doing to (1 + x)^60.[edit]In summary, the conversation is about finding the monthly rate that a car dealer is charging for a new car that can be purchased for $18,000
communitycoll

Homework Statement

A car dealer sells a new car for $18,000. He also offers to sell the same car for monthly payments of $375.00 for five years. What monthly rate is this dealer charging?

Homework Equations

A = [R(1 - (1 + i))^-60] / i

where A = the present value, R = the monthly payment, i = the interest rate, n = the number of monthly payments

Replacing i by x, show that 48x(1 + x)^60 - (1 + x)^60 + 1 = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that, "Replacing i by x, show that 48x(1 + x)^60 - (1 + x)^60 -1 = 0.", seemed to suggest that they wanted me to solve for i (or x), but in hindsight I don't think that's what I need to do. I don't know where to start now. [edit] Or I suppose rather that I'm just supposed to set it equal to 0 somehow. In which case I guess I don't know what they're doing to (1 + x)^60.[edit]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
communitycoll said:

Homework Statement

A car dealer sells a new car for $18,000. He also offers to sell the same car for monthly payments of $375.00 for five years. What monthly rate is this dealer charging?

Homework Equations

A = [R(1 - (1 + i))^-60] / i

where A = the present value, R = the monthly payment, i = the interest rate, n = the number of monthly payments

Replacing i by x, show that 48x(1 + x)^60 - (1 + x)^60 + 1 = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that, "Replacing i by x, show that 48x(1 + x)^60 - (1 + x)^60 -1 = 0.", seemed to suggest that they wanted me to solve for i (or x), but in hindsight I don't think that's what I need to do. I don't know where to start now. [edit] Or I suppose rather that I'm just supposed to set it equal to 0 somehow. In which case I guess I don't know what they're doing to (1 + x)^60.[edit]

You are using an incorrect formula. If you have 60 monthly payments of R, the payment in month 2 is discounted by 1/(1+r), that in month 3 is discounted by 1/(1+r)^2, ... and the final payment in month 60 is discounted by 1/(1+r)^59. Here, r is the monthly interest rate. So, equating the net present value to the car's price P we have
[tex] P = R \left( 1 + \frac{1}{1+r} + \frac{1}{(1+r)^2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{(1+r)^{59}} \right)\\
= R \left( \frac{1+r}{r} - \frac{1}{r(1+r)^{59}} \right).
[/tex]
So, we need to solve
[tex] 18000 = 375 \left( \frac{1+r}{r} - \frac{1}{r(1+r)^{59}} \right).[/tex]

RGV

1. What is Newton's Method and how is it applied to auto financing?

Newton's Method is an algorithm used to find a root or solution to a mathematical equation. In the context of auto financing, it is used to calculate the monthly payment for a car loan given the loan amount, interest rate, and loan term. It is based on the assumption that the monthly payment can be approximated by a linear function.

2. How does Newton's Method differ from other methods used in auto financing?

Unlike other methods such as the Rule of 78s or the Constant Amortization Method, Newton's Method takes into account the changing balance of the loan over time. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the monthly payment and can result in a lower overall cost for the borrower.

3. What are the limitations of using Newton's Method in auto financing?

Newton's Method assumes that the monthly payment can be approximated by a linear function, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account additional fees or charges that may be associated with the loan, such as taxes or insurance. Additionally, it may not be suitable for loans with variable interest rates.

4. Can Newton's Method be used for any type of auto loan?

Newton's Method can be used for most types of auto loans, including traditional car loans, lease buyouts, and refinancing loans. However, it may not be suitable for loans with balloon payments or loans with a high degree of variability in the interest rate.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Newton's Method in auto financing?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used in auto financing, such as the Rule of 78s, the Constant Amortization Method, and the Sum-of-the-Digits Method. It is important to consult with a financial advisor or lender to determine the best method for your specific loan situation.