1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Method for Root Finding - Infinite Loop

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    1. Construct a function f (x) so that Newton's method gets 'hanging' in an infinite cycle xn = (-1)n x0 , no matter how the
    start value x0 is chosen.

2. Relevant Equations:
    xn+1 = xn - f(xn) / f'(xn)

3. The attempt at a solution
    xn+1 = xn - f(xn) / f'(xn) = (-1)n+1x0 = (-1)nx0 - f(xn) / f'(xn) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(xn) / f'(xn) = 2(-1)nx0
    But, I don't know if that's what I wanna do or what to do with it.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you apply Newtons iteration to any value of x, you want to wind up with -x. Try solving the differential equation -x=x-f(x)/f'(x).

4. Sep 30, 2011 #3
    Ah, so you would get f(x) / f'(x) = 1/2x [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f'(x) = 1/2x * f(x) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x) = e[itex]\int[/itex] 1/2x[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x) = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] ?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. Sep 30, 2011 #4
    Dick, you're right that worked perfectly. I had it wrong at first since I had f(x) = e-[itex]\int 1/2x[/itex] but we get the double negative and thus get f(x) = e[itex]\int 1/2x[/itex]

Thank you!

6. Sep 30, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good! You'll also need to think a little about how to define f(x) for x<0. But drawing a picture should make that pretty clear.

7. Sep 30, 2011 #6
    Would sqrt(|x|) work?

8. Sep 30, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try it. I had been thinking about a different choice, but that works too.

9. Sep 30, 2011 #8
    Hmm, if you don't mind, what were you thinking of?

10. Sep 30, 2011 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sqrt(x) for x>=0, -sqrt(-x) for x<0. The graph looks a little 'smoother'. But I don't think there's anything wrong with sqrt(|x|) either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook