1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's method (intersection points)

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given two functions; y= ln(x) and y=(x^2)/8 - 2

Use Newton's Method to approximate all intersection points of the given functions, each with 3 decimal places.

2. Relevant equations

Xn+1 = Xn - f(x) / f`(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

Step 1: I equated the two equations, and I got

f(x) = ln(x) - (x^2)/8 +2

Step 2: I found the derivative as f`(x) = 1/x - x/4

Step 3: then I drew the graphs, and I found that they only intersect at a point near 5.4 (because ln(x) doesn't have any graph in the -x direction)

so I started off x1 = 5.4 and then using the equation given above I found the following values:

X2 = 5.435
    X3 = 5.436
    X4 = 5.435
    X5 = 5.436

Can you guys please tell me if I did the solution right and at which point do I stop ... they keep going ... I'm not going same 3 decimal places for any of them ???
    I hope someone would answer soon because I have it due tomorrow early morning. Thanks and can you also tell that whatever I did was right and nothing else was to be done!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are doing fine with one proviso- if you want the answer correct to 3 decimal places, use more than 3 decimal places, 4 should do, during your calculation. Continue until the 4 decimal places are the same or at least give the same answer rounded to 3 decimal places.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?